Notice Alert

Selby Canal

Starts At: Selby Lock (Lock 1)

Ends At: Selby Lock (Lock 1)

Friday 30 October 2015 13:00 until further notice

Type: Navigation Closure

Reason: Repair

Update on 02/11/2015:

Staff are currently working at the Lock and the dredger will be on site tomorrow.

The silt buid up is significant and therefore the lock will not be operable today.

We will issue an update tomorrow (3/11/15)

Original message:

Problems have been caused with the gate operation at Selby Lock due to silt build up on the tail gates following the recent high tides.

The lock will be closed for passage until this can be rectified on the next suitable tide.

We will issue an update on Monday morning.

You can view this notice and its map online here:

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/5405/selby-lock

You can find all notices at the url below:

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices

Please do not reply to the email. It has been automatically generated.

To unsubscribe from this service please go to: https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/my-trust/notices and uncheck the relevant box.

Notice Alert

Selby Canal

Update on 03/11/2015:

Work is ongoing to clear the silt and the lock remains inoperable.

We will issue a further update tomorrow afternoon.

I was expecting to leave Lemonroyd on Friday morning heading for home (Ripon), and booked my passage through Selby Lock, originally to go out on the 9am tide as long as the Ouse had subsided a little by then. Unfortunately, the Aire was too high, so I hung back in the marina, hoping the waters would abate, and re-arranged with the lock keeper for Sunday morning.

By Saturday lunchtime, the levels on the Aire were still a bit high, but I contemplated risking trying for at least Castleford. So I rang the lockie at Selby to discuss the Ouse, and that's when he told me about the lock gates. He said they couldn't get the dredger up until Monday, so I'd miss the morning tide. I'd have to look at crossing on Tuesday at the earliest, if I was lucky.

So that was my travel plans scuppered! I couldn't wait til then, as I was back at work today (Tuesday). Good job I'd driven down to lemonroyd, so I hopped in the car and went home, and did some jobs around the house instead.

Inconvenient, as I won't have another opportunity until the christmas hols to bring the boat home. But, that's the joys of boating!

At least I got the chance to check out Lemonroyd.

I was expecting to leave Lemonroyd on Friday morning heading for home (Ripon), and booked my passage through Selby Lock, originally to go out on the 9am tide as long as the Ouse had subsided a little by then. Unfortunately, the Aire was too high, so I hung back in the marina, hoping the waters would abate, and re-arranged with the lock keeper for Sunday morning.

By Saturday lunchtime, the levels on the Aire were still a bit high, but I contemplated risking trying for at least Castleford. So I rang the lockie at Selby to discuss the Ouse, and that's when he told me about the lock gates. He said they couldn't get the dredger up until Monday, so I'd miss the morning tide. I'd have to look at crossing on Tuesday at the earliest, if I was lucky.

So that was my travel plans scuppered! I couldn't wait til then, as I was back at work today (Tuesday). Good job I'd driven down to lemonroyd, so I hopped in the car and went home, and did some jobs around the house instead.

Inconvenient, as I won't have another opportunity until the christmas hols to bring the boat home. But, that's the joys of boating!

At least I got the chance to check out Lemonroyd.

I would be interested to know if you were advised of the alternative of joining the Ouse at Goole instead of Selby?

The tide times were ideal for you on Saturday 31 Oct or Sunday 1 Nov. You would have been able to pen out of Goole, in free tide time and at first light, and then have an easy run up to Naburn with the tide under you all the way, passing through Selby just a little later than you would have been leaving Selby Lock if you had been able to go that way.

Do you know if the build up of mud that's caused the lock closure is within the chamber or in the lock tail, close to the bottom gates?

Any mud that builds up just outside the lock is normally washed away by means of the bottom end sluices, but this does need the sluices to be fully open on both gates, and it may be that the sluice that became inoperable during the Summer hasn't been repaired yet. Attempting to wash out the mud using just one sluice wouldn't really work because of the recirculating eddy effect it would create in the lock tail.

Notice Alert

Selby Canal

Update on 04/11/2015:

Work is ongoing to clear the silt and the lock remains inoperable.

We will issue a further update tomorrow afternoon.

Notice Alert

Selby Canal

Thursday 5 November 2015 15:00 until further notice

Original message:

Due to a fault on the lower gates, the lock is currently inoperable.

We will issue an update tomorrow afternoon

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/5495/selby-lock

I would be interested to know if you were advised of the alternative of joining the Ouse at Goole instead of Selby?

The tide times were ideal for you on Saturday 31 Oct or Sunday 1 Nov. You would have been able to pen out of Goole, in free tide time and at first light, and then have an easy run up to Naburn with the tide under you all the way, passing through Selby just a little later than you would have been leaving Selby Lock if you had been able to go that way.

Do you know if the build up of mud that's caused the lock closure is within the chamber or in the lock tail, close to the bottom gates?

Any mud that builds up just outside the lock is normally washed away by means of the bottom end sluices, but this does need the sluices to be fully open on both gates, and it may be that the sluice that became inoperable during the Summer hasn't been repaired yet. Attempting to wash out the mud using just one sluice wouldn't really work because of the recirculating eddy effect it would create in the lock tail.

No, Goole was not mentioned, although I am vaguely aware of that possibility but had not considered it. As time was tight, and I'd already lost a day and a half cruising time, I considered I couldn't make Ripon in what time I had left, so gave up. But thanks for raising this possibility. I'll do a bit of research on that route. I can't get back to the boat for a few weeks anyway, so I guess Selby lock will be operational by then, but it's always handy to have a contingency.

Cheers

Geoff

Notice Alert

Selby Canal

Update on 06/11/2015:

The lock remains inoperable.

We will issue an update on Monday

Notice Alert

Selby Canal

Update on 10/11/2015:

The lock remains closed whilst we await the inspection carried out by divers.

We will issue further updates when available.

• 3 weeks later...

Notice Alert

Selby Canal

Wednesday 25 November 2015 15:00 until further notice

Type: Navigation Restriction

Reason: Maintenance

Original message:

Due to a build up of silt behind one of the lock gates meaning it will not open fully, we can only pen craft less than 10" (3.04m) wide through the lock at this present time. We are waiting for one of our workboats to get to site and remove the build up, but this is dependant on the water levels reducing enough for it to reach the site.

An update will be issued when the boat is at the lock to carry out the work.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/5807/selby-lock

Notice Alert

Selby Canal

Wednesday 25 November 2015 15:00 until further notice

Type: Navigation Restriction

Reason: Maintenance

Original message:

Due to a build up of silt behind one of the lock gates meaning it will not open fully, we can only pen craft less than 10" (3.04m) wide through the lock at this present time. We are waiting for one of our workboats to get to site and remove the build up, but this is dependant on the water levels reducing enough for it to reach the site.

An update will be issued when the boat is at the lock to carry out the work.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/5807/selby-lock

we can only pen craft less than 10".......,.,....Not many of those around!!

Howard