1930's Narrowboat - engine

BlueStringPudding

Featured Posts

Dont you just love the simplicity of old engines n things? You new where to look when things went wrong. No wonder they ran for ever.

Love the simple instrument panel in the background. Looks like a volt mter and an ignition switch. No bells and whistles. Bloody Marvellous

"SNIPPED LOADS" A hint ( I`m stuck in the office waiting for Zita to come back ) - if you are looking for an old fashioned engine , Lister , Gardner and the like - try searching away from the canal. Fishing boats are a good place to start , standby generator engines , all sorts - you will invariably pay less , and in the case of fishing boats the chances are that the gearbox will have had a really easy life and the engine itself will have been well looked after for safety`s sake , even if it looks scruffy.

Whilst I agree with Phil entirely as to sourcing these older engines, you must also be aware that many of them have had lives in a "Salt Air" / "Salt Water" environment and unless they have been meticulously maintained there were definitely be areas of degradation due to that environment

We had a Lister HRW2 brought in by a customer for us to rebuild (Ex fishing Boat) and when we stripped it the salt water damage to the waterways and manifolds rendered the engine only fit for spares

There are bargains still to be had but please look carefully before parting with the cash

Hi Bazza, don't want a reputation as an anorak..........Tixall road, Stafford..........s'what it says on mine, anyway.

Built when Britain was still great and we knew how to do things like making an engine that ran forever...........probl'y what was wrong, never wore out...

Forgot to say.......note the position of the bolts, securing the big end caps.........sign of a "proper" marine engine...

TIXALL RD STAFFORD IS NOW THE PERKINS FACTORY ?? I USED TO PASS IT ON MY WORK EVERY DAY