in at the deep end!

terriegym

Featured Posts

Well 'we' (yes, my children were actually helpful yesterday) had a fairly successful afternoon yesterday. Cabin is cleared out. But then I took the carpet and vinyl off the walls and ceiling to unveil more rotten wood and fungus. Am hoping the rain will hold off today to fill some of the areas where the water is pouring in on the deck and wheelhouse!

Edited by terriegym

G'morning ! Yeah squealing sounds like it could be alternator belt (could the reluctance to start be low battery ? which would be second symptom).

With the monsoon conditions, getting deck and wheelhouse watertight sounds like a fairly high priority unsure.png (If you do it by sticking a tarp over, raise it up on a pole or rope so it forms a tent shape otherwise without a good air gap it just traps the wet )

cheers.gif John

G'morning ! Yeah squealing sounds like it could be alternator belt (could the reluctance to start be low battery ? which would be second symptom).

With the monsoon conditions, getting deck and wheelhouse watertight sounds like a fairly high priority unsure.png (If you do it by sticking a tarp over, raise it up on a pole or rope so it forms a tent shape otherwise without a good air gap it just traps the wet )

cheers.gif John

starter battery is new and was taken to the house to charge up the other night. it squeals more when revs are high! was going to try and have a look myself at some point (my father despairs at me not being able to do my own mechanics, but when he used to try and explain that stuff, it just sounded like he was talking a foreign language)

yes i had the idea of tenting it, i have a round tarp and some old tent poles so will try and do that after visiting marina, if i'm brave enough to go through more bridges!! failing the tent it will be a lot of black plastic and duck tape!! ohmy.png

then that noise needs investigating.......I hate funny noises when I don't know what is causing them....If I know what it is I can then make a sensible choice .......Panic.....or.....ignore unsure.png

Tenting the boat is much better if you can as it lets the woodwork dry, otherwise you're trying to stick things to wet wood huh.png

Good luck, I hope you continue to get help from the family......cheers John

starter battery is new and was taken to the house to charge up the other night. it squeals more when revs are high! was going to try and have a look myself at some point (my father despairs at me not being able to do my own mechanics, but when he used to try and explain that stuff, it just sounded like he was talking a foreign language)

yes i had the idea of tenting it, i have a round tarp and some old tent poles so will try and do that after visiting marina, if i'm brave enough to go through more bridges!! failing the tent it will be a lot of black plastic and duck tape!! ohmy.png

Ask at the marina if someone can have a look at your belt whilst you are having the toilet tank pumped out. Could just be that the alternator belt needs tightening up a bit or replacing. Not a big job.

Unless the alternator belt is tightened up right your new starter battery and domestic batteries won't be getting a proper charge.

What a challenge !

1. Get a groundsheet tarp from Going Outdoors to use as emergency cover during rainy days. You can tie water filled 2litre bottles to the eyelets to hold it down on each side. Being dry is important.

2. Try and seperate the living area, from the working area in your boat, so the kids (and yourself) don't have to live in a building site. Put up a dust sheet or something so mentally it is clear that the one side is good, and one side is bad.

3. A toilet cassette is also a portable device that you can move to any location in the boat and only costs £40. You can go empty it using the car instead of having to move the entire boat.

If I was you I would be concentrating on the living conditions, not the boat engine.......I take it you're not in a marina, which is a shame, because at this time of year it's getting colder. Shorepower and an elec heater might be a lifesaver. You then wouldn't need to worry about the engine or spending on diesel heating.

I went to a carpet dealer who sold offcuts and glued carpeting to the inside of my son's GRP...it transformed it very quickly into something that looks decent....and as a temporary solution might give a bit of warmth.

Lastly, paint can hide a lot of horror. As long as your boat is dried out, giving the entire interior a whitewash would transform it......

Hope that helps, chin up, take a day at a time....think clearly....you'll get there ;-)

What a challenge !

1. Get a groundsheet tarp from Going Outdoors to use as emergency cover during rainy days. You can tie water filled 2litre bottles to the eyelets to hold it down on each side. Being dry is important.

2. Try and seperate the living area, from the working area in your boat, so the kids (and yourself) don't have to live in a building site. Put up a dust sheet or something so mentally it is clear that the one side is good, and one side is bad.

3. A toilet cassette is also a portable device that you can move to any location in the boat and only costs £40. You can go empty it using the car instead of having to move the entire boat.

If I was you I would be concentrating on the living conditions, not the boat engine.......I take it you're not in a marina, which is a shame, because at this time of year it's getting colder. Shorepower and an elec heater might be a lifesaver. You then wouldn't need to worry about the engine or spending on diesel heating.

I went to a carpet dealer who sold offcuts and glued carpeting to the inside of my son's GRP...it transformed it very quickly into something that looks decent....and as a temporary solution might give a bit of warmth.

Lastly, paint can hide a lot of horror. As long as your boat is dried out, giving the entire interior a whitewash would transform it......

Hope that helps, chin up, take a day at a time....think clearly....you'll get there ;-)

She needs the engine to charge the batteries. Without the batteries she won't have very good living conditions at all.

Sorting the engine is a priority!

Yes I'm afraid the alternator/engine is a priority along with making her watertight and getting that front cabin done so i can get the boys in there as i need the space to do work once i have to leave the house in 2 weeks ohmy.pngohmy.pngohmy.png.

I didnt brave the 5 bridges in the wind/rain to get to the marina yesterday but i did find out there is a manned pump out just the other side of the bridge to me and he can help me clean out everything apparently! so i'll phone and hopefully take her after work today.

Thankyou all for the great advice and support, it does mean alot smile.pngsmile.png

Edited by terriegym

Yes exactly as above, you will be able to dine out on this for years, it took us a while to get things sorted but you have taken "sorting out" to a whole new level. Just remember that CWDF is always here, plenty of advice and all manner of help plus sometimes it's just good to vent.

All the best, Phil

thank you, sadly its just me and my 2 little ones trying to do this project. my ex has been up a couple of times to help move stuff, but we'll get there.

I have nothing but the utmost admiration for you. I sincerely hope it works out and you can keep yourself and the kids warm.

oh my days, well that was an eventful or un-eventful pump out depending on how you look at it. went to have her pumped out yesterday, nothing happening, so looked at the pipes, not connected, so i try and re connect the pipe, still nothing as the pipe is too large , so i throw a paddy, leave the boat at the pump out station, drive to the garage and get some old pipe i have ready to tackle it again this morning.

6am start at the boat. pipe i have is too small, so sit with cuppa and stare at pipes again, figure out there is a yellow pipe near ish the pump outlet, take apart, clean and reseal all the (house plumbing) connectors that join the other end of said pipe to the tank, attach the other end of pipe to the pump outlet and hey presto, we get a bit of a pump out!! so next step, lots of blue stuff poured into tank and try another pump out when things are loosened up a bit!!

and have also managed to get tarpaulin's over her today, just hope they are still on tomorrow. lol

Terrie,keep us posted cos we're all rooting for you, and respect for tackling the pump out and associated pipework, a lot of blokes will run a mile to avoid that but you faced it head on. Well done and remember as the song goes " things can only get better" ( exits singing)

Phil

Yes indeed Terrie, I echo Phil's comments. Well done for persevering and sorting.

Glad you have got the tarp over, as DeanS said in an earlier post 2 litre soft drink bottles filled with water are excellent when hung along the edges of the tarp.

cheers John

smile.png I went to your link, hoping it wasn't the theme from Titanic..........good for you !!! cheers.gif John

Lol it might have been if I knew what last night was going to be like in that wind. Had to put 2extra ropes on her and an extra fender. Hoping we wouldn't crash into the side heavily or end up half way down the canal while I was sleeping.

What a brave lady!

Don't forget to cuddle the children (if they will allow it) at least three times a day. Everyone needs at least three cuddles daily!

N

What a brave lady!

Don't forget to cuddle the children (if they will allow it) at least three times a day. Everyone needs at least three cuddles daily!

N

Thankyou, although i don't feel very brave sometimes. luckily my boys are also CCers (continuous cuddler's!!) laugh.png

Lol it might have been if I knew what last night was going to be like in that wind. Had to put 2extra ropes on her and an extra fender. Hoping we wouldn't crash into the side heavily or end up half way down the canal while I was sleeping.

If you tie your boat up with spring lines (diagram below of you are unsure) you will greatly reduce the amount of rolling around you get in the wind.

image062.jpg