Birstall Footbridge repair

Richard T

Featured Posts

This has been taken away for repair -see link

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Birstall-bridge-taken-away-painting/story-27999021-detail/story.html

A temporary structure has been put in place - this is not floating but built from scaffolding , boarded over and covered in roofing felt to give a non-slip finish. Looks like the work is being carried out by May- Gurney who are now part of Kier.

The bridge was in need of repair and carries a large number of people especially at weekends.

Unbelievable waste of licence payers money if it was just painting which the article (and \CRt) state.

Matty,

The bridge had serious corrosion - I looked at it a few months ago. Incidentally how do you paint the underside of a steel deck when it is only about 1m above the water level?

It's over the river Matty. Not so easy to mess with water levels especially with the EA dictating terms.

It's over 20 years since I last painted a BR bridge over a watercourse, but even then the cost of complying with anti pollution requirements was huge. These days it's far more costly. Essentially the bridge has to be totally coccooned.

For a small bridge like this, I'd guess what has been done is far cheaper than painting in situ.