lpg air heating

landlordharry

Featured Posts

advice please on the suitability of propex type lpg warm air heaters as used in caravans for use as occasional cabin heaters.

I have a separate hot water supply and wish to extend my cruising season into spring and autumn. this option was suggested

to me by a caravanning friend.

I fitted a Propex 2000 on my previous boat, very effective, not too bad on gas usage. Fitted mine up with a timer stat (2 AA batts) worked well.

One thing you can do to make them more economical is to arrange the unit to draw air to be heated from within the cabin, that way you are only warming up warm air. The air for combustion is drawn from outside the boat which is where it exhausts to.

Phil

Edited by Phil Ambrose

Hi Landlordharry,

I fitted a propex heater for exactly the same reason as yourselves. Fitted the way Phil describes, it appears to be fine for the job (although I have not had a chance to really try it out in earnest yet)

Is the BSS happy with this type of heater on a boat? I would like one for my wheelhouse but for some reason I imagined it would not be allowed by bss :unsure:

I had no problem with BSS pass, no issues as it vents through s stainless steel through hull fitting so is exactly like any diesel heater. I would suggest making provision for isolating the gas supply.

Phil