narrowboat sterns and bows

Adam

Featured Posts

Hi how many feet long is the trad (inc engine) semi trad and cruiser also how long is the bow???? ta

From back of counter to front of engine room:-17'1"

From cratch to front of stem post:-5' 8"

you were, of course, asking about a star class motor built by Walker bros, weren't you? Anything else I suppose is up to the individual builder/commissioner. I've only got the data to hand for Rickys.

Usks 'front deck' should be about 55' of course.

Copied from Frank Nurser's Note book for a Barlows Motor:-

Length of Counter - 3ft 6in, Cabin - 17ft, Hold - 43ft 6in, Deck - 6ft 10in, Total - 70ft 10 in

Length of Cabin - 8ft 2in, Length of Engine Hole - 8ft 10in

There are lots of other dimensions including cabin sides , engine instalation and fore cabin ertc.

Edited by David Schweizer

Copied from Frank Nurser's Note book for a Barlows Motor:-

Length of Counter - 3ft 6in, Cabin - 17ft, Hold - 43ft 6in, Deck - 6ft 10in, Total - 70ft 10 in

Length of Cabin - 8ft 2in, Length of Engine Hole - 8ft 10in

There are lots of other dimensions including cabin sides , engine instalation and fore cabin ertc.

Is this published David?

The only one I've seen is in Stoke Bruerne and they were a bit sniffy about me touching it. That was many years ago and last time I was there it seemed to have disappeared altogether.

a mean which is the one tht uses the least space

It depends what you mean by space. The cruiser and semi have least back cabin space, the trad has least standing outside drinking G&T space, The semi has a compromise between the trad and cruiser. The bows are whatever you tell your builder to make them.

It depends what you mean by space. The cruiser and semi have least back cabin space, the trad has least standing outside drinking G&T space, The semi has a compromise between the trad and cruiser. The bows are whatever you tell your builder to make them.

And the trad shell with an unconventional engine installation will give you by far the most usable cabin space....

Is this published David?

The only one I've seen is in Stoke Bruerne and they were a bit sniffy about me touching it. That was many years ago and last time I was there it seemed to have disappeared altogether.

Yes, in Tom Chaplins "A short history of the Narrow Boat" First edition published in 1967. and in the revised second edition published in 1974. Ther is also a much larger third edition (still in print i believe), but I do not have a copy so cannot confirm whether Frank Nurser's notes are reproduced in that edition.

Yes, in Tom Chaplins "A short history of the Narrow Boat" First edition published in 1967. and in the revised second edition published in 1974. Ther is also a much larger third edition (still in print i believe), but I do not have a copy so cannot confirm whether Frank Nurser's notes are reproduced in that edition.

Ah you must be using a magnifying glass because I can't read it in my '70s edition, I can't find it in my '89 copy (worth getting because Lucy's back end becomes a double page spread) and I can't find my little soft back version at all.

I was hoping you were going to tell me that SB museum had decided to publish all his notes. Oh well!

Ah you must be using a magnifying glass because I can't read it in my '70s edition, I can't find it in my '89 copy (worth getting because Lucy's back end becomes a double page spread) and I can't find my little soft back version at all.

I was hoping you were going to tell me that SB museum had decided to publish all his notes. Oh well!

I can send you some photos from my books if you like, they are quite easy to read, I can send a copy of the photos of Lucy as well. If you are interested, PM me with your email address, and I will reply with an attachment.

Tom Chaplin was obviously allowed to handle Frank Nursers Notebook, in order to Photograph the pages, but that would have been in the days when Jack James ran the Museum. Jack told me that when the museum was set up it was agreed that the Crews of Narrowboats were not to be charged for admission. I have been inside, free of charge three times, on that basis, so obviously they are still aware of that agreement.

I can send you some photos from my books if you like, they are quite easy to read, I can send a copy of the photos of Lucy as well. If you are interested, PM me with your email address, and I will reply with an attachment.

Tom Chaplin was obviously allowed to handle Frank Nursers Notebook, in order to Photograph the pages, but that would have been in the days when Jack James ran the Museum. He told me that when the museum was set up it was agreed that the Crews of Narrowboats were not to be charged for admission. I have been inside, free of charge three times, on that basis, so obviously they are still aware of that agreement.

Thanks David but I do have all three versions (somewhere). I think I have most of the published photos of Lucy, but not one of Usk!