bike insurance query

border collie

Featured Posts

Hmmm... I have just bought a bike and trailer and would like to insure them. My boat insurance covers these items (as 'contents') only if they come to harm inside the boat, which isn't much use to me!

I am a continuous cruiser, of no fixed address. The first requirement of insurance companies always seems to be your address.

Any suggestions on how I might get around this factor? Or should I just get good strong locks and hope for the best?!

Tx, as always. Border Collie

Put the cost of the insurance into a saving fund and when if it gets pinched buy a new one. wink.png

Of course take all the necessary precautions to stop the opportunist but if someone wants your bike then there is not a security device that will stop a determined thief.

Put the cost of the insurance into a saving fund and when if it gets pinched buy a new one. wink.png

Of course take all the necessary precautions to stop the opportunist but if someone wants your bike then there is not a security device that will stop a determined thief.

I'm not so sure. Back in the 1980s when I did a lot of cycling I used one of those U-shaped Citadel locks, normally round the front wheel, frame and a railing so that the bike couldn't be taken away in a van to the privacy of a workshop. I routinely left the bike on the street all over London, often late evening, even once overnight on the Walworth Road, and nothing happened. I did normally remove the lights, which tended to be targeted by thieves. Someone in the bike trade once told me the two ways such a lock can be got open without the key, which I won't describe here. One would be very difficult to do on the street, and the other very dangerous.

I'm not so sure. Back in the 1980s when I did a lot of cycling I used one of those U-shaped Citadel locks, normally round the front wheel, frame and a railing so that the bike couldn't be taken away in a van to the privacy of a workshop. I routinely left the bike on the street all over London, often late evening, even once overnight on the Walworth Road, and nothing happened. I did normally remove the lights, which tended to be targeted by thieves. Someone in the bike trade once told me the two ways such a lock can be got open without the key, which I won't describe here. One would be very difficult to do on the street, and the other very dangerous.

but not impossible. I still stand by what I said.

cheers.gif

Scissor jack defeats U locks, the vast majority of thieves are wise to that. Same result can be had with a couple of scaffolding poles and a bit of brute force, much harder to prevent scaffolding insertion than scissorjack insertion.

Consider Almax chain & lock, check out the videos on youtube of people failing to cut ALMAX chains. I swear by them! almax-security-chains.co.uk

If the bike is desirable - ie good 'down the pub resale value' then there is a high risk, but if it is a simple bike and trailer, and so not very desirable, then a decent lock is probably enough. I've seen better bikes at the tip than mine, so the only risk is the drunk that does not want to walk home.

How would you rate the 'resale' value of your bike?

Edited by Chewbacka