Buying a boat via eBay

Chris J W

Featured Posts

I'd not normally get something as expensive as a boat via eBay, but would anyone else? How are you meant to do a survey and visit etc if you're busy bidding or even go for a "Buy Now"? Is it 'understood' that no real payment would be taken until a survey was done?

It's just another 'advertising site'. Same rules apply, if the seller offers any objections to any type of inspection, or condition you require......walk away.

If on the other hand you are buying something that to you appears genuine value for money, for whatever reason, then you take a chance.

I'd not normally get something as expensive as a boat via eBay, but would anyone else?

We did, although the sale didn't go through eBay (many listings say the boat is advertised elsewhere and the seller reserves the right to close the listing).

It's just a means of advertising, and I'm sure any reasonable vendor would accept a small deposit subject to a survey. We didn't have a survey as I didn't understand about such things then, the price was right and I had a pretty fair idea of the work I was going to have to do. I knocked the guy down quite a lot (money, not fisticuffs) and still think I paid a fair price for what we got.

When we were searching for a boat in 2005 we inspected several that were on eBay including 'Taurus' which was subsequently bought by a member of this forum - had we sold our business earlier we would have bought it there and then for the eBay 'buy it now' price.

In our opinion eBay is an excellent way to do business.

I've been trying to get a nice clinker or carvel rowing boat off ebay for ages but they make so much money I'm building my own (then I might sell it on ebay and make another).

I'd love one of them, but they are so expensive, I've always had a plan to row around the canals for a few weeks, but I need the boat first. The only things I buy on ebay are Scalextric stuff (my other hobby) Not sure I'd buy an NB though, don't know why, I'd just be a bit nervous about it. On the other hand my wife is selling her little car on ebay at the moment and we've had quite a few questions about it,so it clearly works (it's an 1983 Suzuki Alto!!)

I've been trying to get a nice clinker or carvel rowing boat off ebay for ages but they make so much money I'm building my own (then I might sell it on ebay and make another).

Exactly Carl.

You can find the odd 'bargain' of course. 2 years ago someone I knew with a boat with 2 diesels had a problem with one of them. They were fairly new engines, and it was just bad luck. Managed to get a new short motor for 40quid from ebay. Ford diesel, not sure which model, but think???? it was the transit engine.

Small boats do usually make money.

Still smile about the chap on telly doing the program about it......he actually got 'money for old rope' but did actually cost him.

He drove to the coast and picked up some rope lying around on the sand, washed up from fishing boats. He put it on fleabay and got a bid. Trouble is he underestimated the postage, so given his advertising cost from ebay, plus the postage he made £1.37 (or something like that) but it cost £5 to post, plus ebay cost (don't know what this is). He also had the cost of an 80 mile or so each way drive to get the rope.

It didn't matter of course as he was making the program, so it was just a demonstration.

If you really want to make money on ebay, put an ad for 'how to make a million' for ten quid. 50,000 people will reply and you send them the answer aka put an ad on ebay offering information for 'how to make a million'. Works every time.

A friend has just had a bargain though. He wants a small yacht, and got an old wooden one. Through contacts he's found another cheap, and had to go a long way to collect a trailer to collect it. The person lending them the trailer had looked on ebay, and told him of one ...... free for collection.

Having the trailer he just has, so now has a 1500quid yatch for nothing, complete with sails, rigging etc.

Exactly Carl.

You can find the odd 'bargain' of course. 2 years ago someone I knew with a boat with 2 diesels had a problem with one of them. They were fairly new engines, and it was just bad luck. Managed to get a new short motor for 40quid from ebay. Ford diesel, not sure which model, but think???? it was the transit engine.

Small boats do usually make money.

Still smile about the chap on telly doing the program about it......he actually got 'money for old rope' but did actually cost him.

He drove to the coast and picked up some rope lying around on the sand, washed up from fishing boats. He put it on fleabay and got a bid. Trouble is he underestimated the postage, so given his advertising cost from ebay, plus the postage he made £1.37 (or something like that) but it cost £5 to post, plus ebay cost (don't know what this is). He also had the cost of an 80 mile or so each way drive to get the rope.

It didn't matter of course as he was making the program, so it was just a demonstration.

If you really want to make money on ebay, put an ad for 'how to make a million' for ten quid. 50,000 people will reply and you send them the answer aka put an ad on ebay offering information for 'how to make a million'. Works every time.

A friend has just had a bargain though. He wants a small yacht, and got an old wooden one. Through contacts he's found another cheap, and had to go a long way to collect a trailer to collect it. The person lending them the trailer had looked on ebay, and told him of one ...... free for collection.

Having the trailer he just has, so now has a 1500quid yatch for nothing, complete with sails, rigging etc.

I sold my last boat on ebay as I had already bought a sailaway so needed a fast sale the guy that bought her got a bargain and I was happy to sell fast so all ended well Brenda

When we were searching for a boat in 2005 we inspected several that were on eBay including 'Taurus' which was subsequently bought by a member of this forum -

That was me!!! We dashed down to see it and bought it straight away but not through ebay.

That was me!!! We dashed down to see it and bought it straight away but not through ebay.

And it a very nice boat too - superb fit-out, Gardner engine and immaculately presented. I don't believe it was advertised elsewhere so without keeping an eye on eBay this little gem might well have been missed . . .

Hi there!

Am new to this forum as looking for a narrowboat to live on in London - preferably at/in Springfield Marina area on the River Lea.

Was intrigued by your thread re: buying on eBay and toddled off to have a look.

I don't have moorings yet and will be sensible to buy on a mooring (fingers crossed!) but found this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Canal-Boat_W0QQitemZ...1QQcmdZViewItem

amd my jaw hit the keyboard...Is not to most people's tast but Wow! Only £44K 'buy it now price'?? Crikey, that's good, no? Not sure if I'd go for it, but nice ideas re layout - I love the stove in kitchen. Why would it be so cheap?

perhaps it's old? Wood, not steel? over 60ft? Dark inside?

Will continue to keep an eye out on eBay over next few months then!

All the best,

catseyes :lol:

P.S. I am finding all of the information in these forums really helpful. So, thank you in advance as I am getting a better idea about a boat, maintainance and living aboard. thanks too, to Honey Ryder, too for informative and amusing blog - particularly re; sorting out bottom of boat. Didn't know about any of this stuff.

P.P.S. Not 'seasick' of all this info yet ..on the contrary, it's done nothing but s(purrr) me on to find the perfik boat and moorings for me!

Wouldn't say it's particularly cheap, as this one of similar size is for sale at around the same price. It's been more or less refitted in the last 3 years, and there is nothing wrong with it as far as I know.

Frank1.jpg

Most people can't see past a colour scheme, or design......even if it's dirty or drab. 1500quid is all it would take to change, at the very most, and more likely 300 or 400.

I also find it amusing that we soon become accustomed to larger and larger sums. Before the lottery, and millionaire, when £20,000 worth of prizes on quiz shows were still huge amounts, no one would have said 'only £44,000' or why is it so cheap. Yet only a few years on, and the millions have increased to billions. In 2000 everyone was staggered when the cost of the milennium dome jumped a few million, yet in 2007 the cost of the olimpics has already increased 3 fold by BILLIONS.

Just goes to show what real inflation really is............

Wouldn't say it's particularly cheap, as this one of similar size is for sale at around the same price. It's been more or less refitted in the last 3 years, and there is nothing wrong with it as far as I know.

Frank1.jpg

Most people can't see past a colour scheme, or design......even if it's dirty or drab. 1500quid is all it would take to change, at the very most, and more likely 300 or 400.

I also find it amusing that we soon become accustomed to larger and larger sums. Before the lottery, and millionaire, when £20,000 worth of prizes on quiz shows were still huge amounts, no one would have said 'only £44,000' or why is it so cheap. Yet only a few years on, and the millions have increased to billions. In 2000 everyone was staggered when the cost of the milennium dome jumped a few million, yet in 2007 the cost of the olimpics has already increased 3 fold by BILLIONS.

Just goes to show what real inflation really is............

I remember when I was a kid and Bob monkhouse had this see through attache case (celebrity squares?) and it contained......

£1000!

As an off topic aside. If the main reason for holding the olympics here is given as how it will regenerate that part of London; how much better off would the area be if that 9 billion (and no doubt still rising) was injected straight into the community?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Canal-Boat_W0QQitemZ...1QQcmdZViewItem

amd my jaw hit the keyboard...Is not to most people's tast but Wow! Only £44K 'buy it now price'?? Crikey, that's good, no? Not sure if I'd go for it, but nice ideas re layout - I love the stove in kitchen. Why would it be so cheap?

perhaps it's old? Wood, not steel? over 60ft? Dark inside?

£44k for a wooden boat. I close my eyes and dream of the day. You can have both mine for £44hundred.