ruined shoes and hurt pride

tagulablue

Featured Posts

Stood near lock entrance ...about 2 foot back from canal bank and all of a sudden my foot went through the grass/soil straight into the water. Fell over and hurt dry foot ... rescued wet foot and ruined shoe! OH shouting at me to shut gate instead of talking ...but I was trying to tell volunteer he need to report the hole. Because he didn't see it happen I think he thought I was standing too near the edge and I was just being stupid. I know this because as I limped back on to the boat I heard someone say that canals were dangerous places and I should have known not to stand on the edge...For pitys sake I was 2 foot away from the nearest water.

Ah but you be woman and woman renowned for chatting and not taking notice....Tis tough hat we wear.

At least you pointed it out so did your duty with regards H and S..

If it had been man through hole in unstable bank 2ft from edge then reporting technique could have differed with use of Anglo Saxon terms to illustrate point of entry.

Dash off email to CRT to document and then have Magnum moment...I do in times of trouble....

• Greenie 2

Ah but you be woman and woman renowned for chatting and not taking notice....Tis tough hat we wear.

At least you pointed it out so did your duty with regards H and S..

If it had been man through hole in unstable bank 2ft from edge then reporting technique could have differed with use of Anglo Saxon terms to illustrate point of entry.

Dash off email to CRT to document and then have Magnum moment...I do in times of trouble....

I wonder why it is that boat people don't immediately pick up the phone and dial lawyers 4 you as people would if it were to happen on the street unsure.png

I wonder why it is that boat people don't immediately pick up the phone and dial lawyers 4 you as people would if it were to happen on the street unsure.png

Cos we are sensible folk who don't want hassle of legalese in our lives..holes are holes and a wet foot is well...wet..

Cos we are sensible folk who don't want hassle of legalese in our lives..holes are holes and a wet foot is well...wet..

Some years ago (in fact many years ago, 15 I suppose) we were descending Marple locks.

My stepson, who would have been about 13 at the time, had his leg in a cast (result of a car accident), but was determined to work the locks. This involved judicious use of crutches, and a lot of hopping on one leg.

The hopping was what did it, for by the tailgates of one of the lower locks, a very large cavity had been forming for some time. There was no issue with it, because it didn't lie anywhere that would expect a lot of force, and it had a substantial roof of tightly rooted turf.

But for Harvey pogoing across it on his good leg, it might have lasted for years.

However, as we descended the lock, Harvey hopped on his good leg from the Paddle to the end of the beam, and vanished from sight.

His good leg descended into the sink hole, and he was save from going down completely by his pot and the tips of his fingers.

We dragged him out, and called BW, who fitted orange netting that was there for another 6 months.

The next day, we met a BW management type at Portland Basin, and were relating the story about Harvey falling down the sinkhole to him. He listened with interest, then Harvey appeared from inside the boat, sporting the full length cast on his leg. The BW man went visibly pale as he took this in. He clearly thought that the pot was a direct result of the sink hole incident, and was seeing the prospect of litigation appear in front of him. He was much relieved to learn that this wasn't the case!

• Greenie 1

Thats a good story..made me smile..have a green thing

oops not that i mean him falling down a hole funny but reaction of canal guy you told it to who then spotted plaster cast..thats funny

edited to clarify not laughing at another misfortune

Edited by patty-ann

Thats a good story..made me smile..have a green thing

oops not that i mean him falling down a hole funny but reaction of canal guy you told it to who then spotted plaster cast..thats funny

edited to clarify not laughing at another misfortune

Feel free to laught at the misfortune of another his mum and I did:-)

Actually, he did too

By tying tennis rackets to your feet small holes in the ground will be bridged and you won't even know you've trodden on one. Reccommended for those who wander about glued to an Android tablet telephone thing doin Facebook and not looking where they're going.

• Greenie 1

By tying tennis rackets to your feet small holes in the ground will be bridged and you won't even know you've trodden on one. Reccommended for those who wander about glued to an Android tablet telephone thing doin Facebook and not looking where they're going.

Dear Mr Bizzard..Do you realise what a potential money making thought you've just shared? Over half the population needs kitting out with these netted soles on footwear..quickly patent product and send my share to me for highlighting possible £££'s profit.

Dragons den here you go.

And if they had inflatable bags on them people could walk on water biggrin.png

Thats good. Yep but think that needs to be so that it automatically inflates cos walking on land in airbags could be problematic if glass around..unless of course they could be like mini hovercrafts.

What a splendid turn of phrase! Have a greeno.