Bmc 1.8 vs 1.5 diesel. Easy replacement?

wrisberg

Featured Posts

Hello mates.

Any of you guys know if it is a easy swap, from 1.5 to a 1.8 diesel?

Are the engine mounts the same, or is it a completely different engine?

Do you know of anyone who has switched between 1.5 and 1.8? I am thinking clutch housing, engine size also, length to the drive, etc.

If it's just the piston / cylinder, that's changes, it should be doable, imo.

Looking very much forward to hearing from you.

Thanks.

Jonas

I think the flywheel housing is different and the flywheel. As the injector pump on the 1.8 is close to where the front engine mount fits on a 1.5 the mounting point may be different but there are several different type of front mount systems depending upon who marinised the engine.

The timing cover is also very different on a 1.8, that has ramifications for the front plate which in turn may affect the front mounts.

Edited by Tony Brooks

Thanks for your reply, both of you.

I am asking because I got a very good offer on a 1.5, and mine is fitted with a 1.8.

I will take a look at the engine, and evaluate if it is worth the effort on refitting then.

Again, thanks for your help. Great forum!

Jonas

These two engines are not the same animal at all. They are based on different engine blocks

Well yes, obviously to the extent that the 1800 has biigger bores to give bigger capacity, (stroke remains ther same between the two types, from memory.

But I thoght physically in size they were more or less identical? Have there not been discussions that in some cases you can fit the head from one type to the other type?

That said, I would suggest that what Tony Brooks has said about the differences will be spot on - I doubt anybody knows more about these engines in boat use than he does.

Another consideration might be that I think, in general, parts for the 1800 are a bit easier than the older 1500s. b There certainly seem to be a few 1500 parts that some people find hard to source.