Good mooring spots between Hatton/Droitwich?

robert anthony

Featured Posts

Can anyone recommend any good mooring spots between Hatton and Droitwich? Preferably near to a pub that does decent food and real ale would be nice cheers.gif

I'm picking my boat up from Hatton tomorrow and according to the canal planner it's going to take a couple of days to get to Droitwich so will need to plan for 2 overnight stops. My wife is working so I'll be doing it single handed and with 65 locks to do I'll be taking it steady as I've never done any locks on my own before.

Good luck doing this on your own, some of the locks can be a bit stiff, and the Tardebigge Flight is very tiring. I know, this is our stamping ground and we do the route frequently, but we normally do it in 4 or 5 days, cruising for 4 to 5 hours a day.

If you are starting at the top of the Hatton Flight you will have to allow at least 3 long days to do this trip.

There are quite a few good pubs along this route, but I would recommend Hockley Heath or Shirley Drawbridge for the first night and then Hopwood or Alvechurch for the second night.

Again, Good Luck.

We like The Boot at Lapworth. But of a gastro pub and not cheap but food is pretty good. We ate there last Monday. Moored just above lock 6. Next night we stopped below Tardebigge top lock. No pub that I know of but good mooring and room to bbq on towpath. Or stop earlier at pub at Hopwood.

Good luck doing this on your own, some of the locks can be a bit stiff, and the Tardebigge Flight is very tiring. I know, this is our stamping ground and we do the route frequently, but we normally do it in 4 or 5 days, cruising for 4 to 5 hours a day.

If you are starting at the top of the Hatton Flight you will have to allow at least 3 long days to do this trip.

There are quite a few good pubs along this route, but I would recommend Hockley Heath or Shirley Drawbridge for the first night and then Hopwood or Alvechurch for the second night.

Again, Good Luck.

Thanks, I thought 2 days may be pushing it a bit but never mind, an extra day of peace and quiet won't hurt will it wink.png

I'll have a google of pubs local to those mooring spots and see what pops up....

We like The Boot at Lapworth. But of a gastro pub and not cheap but food is pretty good. We ate there last Monday. Moored just above lock 6. Next night we stopped below Tardebigge top lock. No pub that I know of but good mooring and room to bbq on towpath. Or stop earlier at pub at Hopwood.

Cheers PC, will look at stopping there when the wife is with me as she likes the look of the menu biggrin.png

Can anyone recommend any good mooring spots between Hatton and Droitwich? Preferably near to a pub that does decent food and real ale would be nice cheers.gif

I'm picking my boat up from Hatton tomorrow and according to the canal planner it's going to take a couple of days to get to Droitwich so will need to plan for 2 overnight stops. My wife is working so I'll be doing it single handed and with 65 locks to do I'll be taking it steady as I've never done any locks on my own before.

Total distance is 33 miles, 3½ furlongs and 65 locks (not counting Hatton Top Lock No 46). There are at least 4 moveable bridges of which 1 is usually left open; 4 small aqueducts or underbridges and 5 tunnels (Shrewley Tunnel (433 yards long), Brandwood Tunnel (352 yards long), Wast Hill Tunnel (2726 yards long), Shortwood Tunnel (614 yards long) and Tardebigge Tunnel (580 yards long)).

This is made up of 28 miles, 4¼ furlongs of narrow canals; 4 miles, 7¼ furlongs of broad canals; 65 narrow locks.

This will take 22 hours, 38 minutes which is 3 days, 1 hour and 38 minutes at 7 hours per day. For initial calculation purposes (before adjusting for such things as overnight stops) this is taken as 3 days of 7 hours and 32 minutes each.

But if you are single handing then you'll be slower at the locks and Tardebigge will take longer than expected, although if there are plenty of other boats around then that should make things easier for you.

Total distance is 33 miles, 3½ furlongs and 65 locks (not counting Hatton Top Lock No 46). There are at least 4 moveable bridges of which 1 is usually left open; 4 small aqueducts or underbridges and 5 tunnels (Shrewley Tunnel (433 yards long), Brandwood Tunnel (352 yards long), Wast Hill Tunnel (2726 yards long), Shortwood Tunnel (614 yards long) and Tardebigge Tunnel (580 yards long)).

This is made up of 28 miles, 4¼ furlongs of narrow canals; 4 miles, 7¼ furlongs of broad canals; 65 narrow locks.

This will take 22 hours, 38 minutes which is 3 days, 1 hour and 38 minutes at 7 hours per day. For initial calculation purposes (before adjusting for such things as overnight stops) this is taken as 3 days of 7 hours and 32 minutes each.

But if you are single handing then you'll be slower at the locks and Tardebigge will take longer than expected, although if there are plenty of other boats around then that should make things easier for you.

Yep, that's what I came up with but I set it to 10 hours cruising per day. So 3 days would be more realistic smile.png Mind you, seeing as it's the summer holidays it might take longer than 3 days if there are queues for the locks unsure.png

Next night we stopped below Tardebigge top lock. No pub that I know of but good mooring and room to bbq on towpath. Or stop earlier at pub at Hopwood.

The New Tardebigge pub is about half a mile from the top lock. Its a Fayre & Square family pub restaurant. Its a while since I've been there, but I seem to recall the beer isn't too bad.

http://www.fayre-square.com/pub/new-tardebigge-redditch/m2305/