ITV4 CRT Advert

Canalwatcher

Featured Posts

eg - ISTR some CRT moorings were removed where the entrance to Mercia Marina now is (or where they private?) - I can't see if that is part of an agreement with them, how they can suddenly reinstate them.

The future?

Mercia marina is a big marina of over 500 moorings. At 10:1 that would equate to a loss of 50 online moorings. I doubt very much that they were taken from the immediate vicinity in total. Marinas are more profitable for CRT under the present NAA arrangement.

Mercia marina is a big marina of over 500 moorings. At 10:1 that would equate to a loss of 50 online moorings. I doubt very much that they were taken from the immediate vicinity in total. Marinas are more profitable for CRT under the present NAA arrangement.

Possibly. I am just thinking of those as a particular site. They were sited between the entrance running up to where the foot bridge is. I think there was only about ten max.

They actually still show up on Google earth - and actually look more like private than CRT (or BW as it would have been then)

fxXOITn.jpg

Anyway - this is a red herring in my view.

Edited by MJG

I think this rather cynical mindset that so commonly prevails on here fails to grasp the Trusts role since it's inception.

Its not 'propaganda' it's trying to engage with more people and get them interested in the waterways which in turn will improve visitor numbers which hopefully will in turn encourage income to the Trust. What some of you boaters are not grasping is that the more income raised via. sources other than the licence fee the less the future rises in those will have to be. Some of those people who visit may even become boaters either by hiring or as owners themselves.

Carp on all you like about what will have been an expensive ad. in a prime slot but it is an investment in the long term future of the waterways, I know some on here don't see it like that but a sure fire way of seeing the waterways deteriorate into shallow muddy ditches that no body wants to visit is to keep it the sole preserve of boaters and a few angry fishermen scowling at them from the towpath.

Have you any awareness of the cost of a TV advert?

Complete waste of (our) money. I realise you have no reason to care now.

Besides I seem to recall that the canals had 40 million visitors last year, why do they need more?

Besides I seem to recall that the canals had 40 million visitors last year, why do they need more?

What's you plan then Mr. C?

(I'll ignore the irrelevant side comment)

BTW - I do agree that the 400 million visitor thing was a bit of crass propaganda, but don't agree with describing this ad. as such, this being the point I was responding to.

Edited by MJG

Possibly. I am just thinking of those as a particular site. They were sited between the entrance running up to where the foot bridge is. I think there was only about ten max.

There are non there now that could be called online moorings, close to the entrance. Beyond the bridge, leaving Willington and in the other direction, heading towards Mercia, there is a reasonable number of online moorings. Heading in the opposite direction, towards Stenson, there is again, a reasonable number of online moorings. Then, there is Stenson marina.

There are non there now that could be called online moorings, close to the entrance. Beyond the bridge, leaving Willington and in the other direction, heading towards Mercia, there is a reasonable number of online moorings. Heading in the opposite direction, towards Stenson, there is again, a reasonable number of online moorings. Then, there is Stenson marina.

I know (I used to moor in Mercia remember?). The remnants of the moorings were there when I last walked past but that was ages ago now, probably all rotted away/

Edited by MJG

What's you plan then Mr. C?

I would have thought that if CRT follow their main purpose of maintaining and running the navigation and make a success of it, people will follow that success.

After all that's where the current leisure industry (and liveaboards for that matter) came from.

Do railtrack advertise on TV? (I don't know because I don't watch it)

400 million was it, I was about to write that and then thought "no, that's absurd"

They actually still show up on Google earth - and actually look more like private than CRT (or BW as it would have been then)

fxXOITn.jpg

Anyway - this is a red herring in my view.

That picture pre-dates Mercia marina.

I posted the figures for a 30 second all region non-prime time ITV advert further up in the thread.... Plus seeing media companies saying that a basic advert (non celebrity actors, no fancy special FX etc) costs about 7K to make .....

I posted the figures for a 30 second all region non-prime time ITV advert further up in the thread.... Plus seeing media companies saying that a basic advert (non celebrity actors, no fancy special FX etc) costs about 7K to make .....

Oh, it was only inserted once then? That will reach lots of people (not)

Tell you what I'll do, let's compromise. When they have completely addressed the backlog of maintenance then let's talk again about TV advertising.

And why do they need to increase 400,000,000 visits? Must be getting pretty crowded out there.

Edited by Dave Clinton

I would have thought that if CRT follow their main purpose of maintaining and running the navigation and make a success of it, people will follow that success.

After all that's where the current leisure industry (and liveaboards for that matter) came from.

400 million was it, I was about to write that and then thought "no, that's absurd"

I don't think Railtrack has done any adverts (maybe public information safety ones?) but CRT are nothing like Railtrack so it is a pointless comparison. Train companies advertise all the time.

Their reason for being is totally different and Railtrack has a very different funding model. CRT are running the canal system on behalf of the nation and need to engage with the public to help fund it. Railtrack on the other hand are charged with providing a safe running railway infrastructure for commercial operations.

You obviously haven't been keeping up with the news about fundraising companies. It isn't CRT who make the calls, but third party fumdraising call centres. Who generally employ these techniques on behalf of the charities who higher them.

I was talking to someone who is a "friend" recently who is getting a call from "CRT" asking them to up there donation. They have been getting the call once every 7days for a while. A practice that is supposed to be illegal.

Regards kris

Yes I have been keeping up with the news about this issue... if CRT are employing companies who are doing this then it needs to be reported to CRT and to the Information Commissioner...

Do railtrack advertise on TV? (I don't know because I don't watch it)400 million was it, I was about to write that and then thought "no, that's absurd"

This being the point of my post. I don't believe they have option any longer, since they became CRT they were given a much bigger agenda including assuring their future survival. Simply being 'successful' will not ensure that, unless people are aware of it.

Your railtrack comparison doesn't work because customers of the railways deal with the rail companies not railtrack themselves. The rail companies do advertise (quite heavily). Thus the relationship is completely different.

Oh, it was only inserted once then? That will reach lots of people (not)

Tell you what I'll do, let's compromise. When they have completely addressed the backlog of maintenance then let's talk again about TV advertising.

And where are they going to get the money to clear the backlog of dredging plus all the other work that needs doing. which was estimated at £300 million in 2012...... put up our licences by about 5000%?

I don't know how many times they are showing the advert - I just gave the figure for a 30 second slot to compare it to the cost of dredging...

Edited by StephenA

Your railtrack comparison doesn't work because customers of the railways deal with the rail companies not railtrack themselves. The rail companies do advertise (quite heavily). Thus the relationship is completely different.

That's exactly why it is valid. People interact with the leisure companies not the track providers (CRT).

If you go along any bit of accessible canal on a sunny sunday you'll see there's no shortage of visitors of the kind that interact with the track (where my analogy does break down).

That picture pre-dates Mercia marina.

Goodness me YES I know this. Hence I said 'they STILL show up on Google earth. I was showing where the moorings used to be as in the past, before the marina was built.

And where are they going to get the money to clear the backlog of dredging plus all the other work that needs doing... put up our licences by about 5000%?

I don't know how many times they are showing the advert - I just gave the figure for a 30 second slot to compare it to the cost of dredging...

Why pick on dredging? Why not say how many locks could be maintained for £6,000? coping stones re-pointed, paddle gear greased. When they make a success of that then they can look for more visitors - who pay nothing.

This advert simply backs up Mike the Boilerman's assertion that navigation is irrelevant to the success of the canals (and hence CRT) rather than core. As someone points out, there's nothing about navigation in the ad.

That's exactly why it is valid. People interact with the leisure companies not the track providers (CRT).

If you go along any bit of accessible canal on a sunny sunday you'll see there's no shortage of visitors of the kind that interact with the track (where my analogy does break down).

That may be true at some of the honey pot locations in the Midlands and South but not my experience in the North Eastern waterways. More needs to be done to make people aware.

I like looking at before and after pictures, oldy worldy stuff food for thought.:wacko:

Is their any before and after pictures of Mercia for me little brain to think about ?

Funny enough if you go on Google Earth the imagery covering Mercia actually shows it half and half.

Half complete Marina half the fishing lake it was created from.

It's quite weird.

If it raises awareness to people of a leisure resource they had not previously considered, then it can't be a bad thing.

If we educated children about the industrial revolution and the part the canals played, then we have the potential of a new generation of enthusiasts who will respect them.

Consider this:

In the 1970's the BBC produced a documentary about an unknown Bolton Steeplejack.

From that day onwards the steam preservation movement and associated crafts has grown continuously. Today it has a massive public interest and following.

• Greenie 2

Funny enough if you go on Google Earth the imagery covering Mercia actually shows it half and half.

Half complete Marina half the fishing lake it was created from.

It's quite weird.

Will go and look now thanks.

If it raises awareness to people of a leisure resource they had not previously considered, then it can't be a bad thing.

If we educated children about the industrial revolution and the part the canals played, then we have the potential of a new generation of enthusiasts who will respect them.

Consider this:

In the 1970's the BBC produced a documentary about an unknown Bolton Steeplejack.

From that day onwards the steam preservation movement and associated crafts has grown continuously. Today it has a massive public interest and following.

Fred did a lot of good stuff, and he took a lot of good stuff with him that cant be replaced. Rip Fred.

Master of back street mechanicin too.

Why pick on dredging? Why not say how many locks could be maintained for £6,000? coping stones re-pointed, paddle gear greased. When they make a success of that then they can look for more visitors - who pay nothing.

This advert simply backs up Mike the Boilerman's assertion that navigation is irrelevant to the success of the canals (and hence CRT) rather than core. As someone points out, there's nothing about navigation in the ad.

I'd go along with Henhouse. The situation is, the public are part of the deal that brings the grant. They can't be ignored.