Complete Propulsion Installation

Featured Posts

As far as the pics are concerned EVERYTHING above the gunnels has been removed, is there something to suggest if this was designed specifically for one layout or another with regards to cruiser/trad ?

If there IS then please excuse my ignorance as I didn't know. The back cabin plan was to make it more possible to get afloat quicker under its own independent power.

I'd say the things which define which style of stern are:

1. decking

2. bulkheads

3. cabin bodywork

4. location of engine bearers

5. location of keelson (ie if its in the centre forwards of an anticipated engine location, then that engine location changes, it becomes an obstruction).

I believe (from the posts so far which clarify the out-of-date pics) that 1, 2, and 3 have already been significantly altered; and that 4 aren't present (yet)? Thus the remaining item 5 might as well be changed too. Just use common sense in that if a significant piece of metal which braces other bodywork is removed, equivalent strength is added back in with other metalwork.

I think you've created a lot of work for yourself, whether this was the intention ie project as something of a challenge, labour of love, etc I'm not 100% sure. Whether its long term going to be cost effective over buying a sailaway, not sure either (don't know your bargain price you obtained the hull for!) Whichever, have an awareness of the costs (including your travel, time, tools purchased along the way etc) and don't be afraid to re-evaluate your options even though you've started on this particular pathway.

Thank you Paul, you've detailed it better than me in those few lines. If I remove the relevant area keelson it will be replaced by a twin version that will become the engine bearers. Of course I'll have to take a long hard look first with another better qualified than me before doing anything, but until I get some geometry sorted it might not even cone to that in the end.

Fair point Richard, I hope to be getting back up there sometime soon as the bulk of the cabin framework is in place. With a lightweight "dummy" engine that I can toss around with ease I'll be better informed of some parameters and can make a more informed decision for the engine position and aft bulkhead. I'll try and take some more pics too, to try and show what I tried to explain with mere words.

Thank you everybody for your input whether it was pro, con or just curious. I'm a great believer in constructive critism (no pun intended) and I've got some food for thought. With luck and good judgement it'll all come good.