Mermaid Marine Customer Support For Mp Range Chinese Engines

Featured Posts

I'm puzzled by the delay in posting rights you've mentioned more than once.

There should have been none with CWF and I don't remember there being any delay when I registered with YBW.

MtB

I was only a few hours here but it seems to be quite common on car forums, sometimes several days. I'm not sure if it is deliberate policy or just admin delays. I'm still waiting for the validation email from YBW.

I have now been in touch with Hampshire Trading Standards who insist that their RCD Officer's role only involves advising businesses in Hampshire. They have suggested I contact my local Citizens Advice Bureau.

I have also been on Dorset's web site where the advice, for Dorset residents, is again to contact CAB.

I still can't find any information on enforcement of CE/RCD standards or reporting infringements.

P.S.

I still don't have the validation email from YBW in spite of emailing to ask if there is a problem. I have subsequently tried to register again using a different set of username, password and email address: same result.

The CAB are contracted to do the public facing part of Trading Standards. That is why I said about jumping through the hoops.

In my view HMGs of all persuasions have effectively thrown their subjects to the sharks as far as consumer protection is concerned becasue most of us can not afford a speculative court case.

I have now been in touch with Hampshire Trading Standards who insist that their RCD Officer's role only involves advising businesses in Hampshire. They have suggested I contact my local Citizens Advice Bureau.

I have also been on Dorset's web site where the advice, for Dorset residents, is again to contact CAB.

I still can't find any information on enforcement of CE/RCD standards or reporting infringements.

P.S.

I still don't have the validation email from YBW in spite of emailing to ask if there is a problem. I have subsequently tried to register again using a different set of username, password and email address: same result.

re YBW, hey cocked up my registration, I had an email from them on Sunday about it.

• 3 weeks later...

Thought it time for a bit of an update. I did eventually get onto the YBW forum and even got a post from someone at Mermaid, though not much help.

It seems I was mistaken about 'the complete oil filter assembly' falling off, so apologies for that.

In fact the engine failure was due to the spigot in the assembly coming loose and allowing the filter itself to vibrate undone. Obviously, the spigot should be permanently fixed in the assembly but it is a sloppy fit both in the assembly and the filter and can easily be removed with thumb and forefinger.

Sounds to me as though it is either the wrong component altogether or has been badly machined and is under-size.

According to people on YBW, Mermaid Marine is no longer the long established company we have all heard of and no-one has refuted that suggestion.

As far as I know its someone trading on an old well respected name With no connection to the original company . Have an idea the same thing happened with Thorneycroft.

(I reserve the right to be wrong on this)

As far as I know its someone trading on an old well respected name With no connection to the original company . Have an idea the same thing happened with Thorneycroft.

(I reserve the right to be wrong on this)

Nah, you're confusing them with Thornycroft.

Completely different firm, obviously!

By coincidence, the narrowboat in question had a Thornycroft/Mitsubishi 80D that gave splendid service for over 20 years. I expect they wish they had refurbished it.

Isn't hindsight a powerful thing!

Yes, but foresight is more useful!