Replacement Of Kabola With Boatman Stove

Plonk

Featured Posts

Hi All.

I am replacing my wonky Kabola Old English(Diesel) with a Boatman multi fuel stove (with a back boiler) and am not sure how mad to go with the hearth, insulation etc. Bearing in mind that the Kabola heat output is rated at 4kw and so is the Boatman I would have thought it a fairly straightforward swap out........!

The Kabola was fitted on a quarry tiled hearth with ply under it (as i discovered upon removal), also the flue is single skinned and pases within a couple of mm of the roof ply (where the hole was cut). Also a wooden wall is only a couple of inches away from the flue hole and old flue. This is clearly unacceptable! The fire surround is about 4" from the rear corners of the new stove (it was slightly closer with the old stove). The fire surround walls seem to be 6mm fireboard on ply, tiled with small thickish tiles. I have been reluctent to destroy it to find out.

As there has been no problems with the old stove catching fire to the boat and the dimensions of the Boatman being smaller (and with the back boiler, unlike the Kabola which had its water pipes in the top), I thought would add 2 or 3 layers of 9mm fireboard onto the ply base/hearth, possibly with an airgap. Fit a double skin flue through the roof, with the outer skin 50mm from combustables as recomended and angled towards the stove joining a single skin flue at an acceptable distance from the wall. I was hoping to leave the surround alone.

I think the Kabola was installed back in 99 when the boat was built as the woodwork around is quite proffesionally done.

Question- would leaving the old surround as is be bordering on insanity, or as it has been ok with the kabola so far would it be ok!

Any other comments/advice would be gratefully recieved.

If my woodworking skills and time were up to it I would be tempted to start over.

Thanks

Update - I decided to bite the bullet and have partially ripped out the old surround. Behind the stove was tiled 6mm fireboard glued to ply. I am going to improve that substantially.

The hearth was just quarry tiles on ply!

Update - I decided to bite the bullet and have partially ripped out the old surround. Behind the stove was tiled 6mm fireboard glued to ply. I am going to improve that substantially.

The hearth was just quarry tiles on ply!

Heat rises, the hearth shouldn't get hot.

Heat rises, the hearth shouldn't get hot.

I realise that this is NOT a boat but a house, but according to the link below, a free standing fire if suitably designed is ok stood on a 12mm non-combustible base even on top of carpet, which surprised me when I was investigating fitting a boat stove.

http://www.stovefittersmanual.co.uk/articles/hearth-regulations/

Agreed, the only heat will be radiated, but I would prefer to be overcautious whilst I am doing the rest! One of my friends cats loves it under his woodburner so I suppose it cant get too hot down there.

I see from the regs that in a house, the suggested constructional hearth in a fireplace is quite substantial. A bit over the top maybe?