What pipe where

Benno 1688

Featured Posts

Hi I have fitted a calorifier only problem is I'm not sure which hoses go where. Does the one from the water pump end go to the top of the calorifier or the bottom. And what happens if I get them the wrong way round.

The outlet from the engine goes to the top of the coil, this is usually from the water rail by the thermostat housing although I'm not that familiar with BMC engines...hopefully someone else will say the exact place....the return to the engine goes to the bottom of the coil.....make sure it's the same coil if it's a twin coil calorifier.

Cheers

Gareth

Unless you have a pattern overseas made head there should be one or two hexagon plugs on top of the head just beside the corners of the rocker cover. One at the front by the thermostat housing and one in a similar position at the back of the head. Replace the plug with a hose tail with a suitable thread and run that to the top calorifier connection. The bottom calorifier connection runs to any suitable point close to the inlet to the engine water pump. Often a T in the return to engine keel cooler hose/pipe.

Remember to think about bleeding the calorifier circuit so maybe a bleed screw at the highest point in the top run. Also think about a swan neck in the same run to minimise the possibility to thermo-syphoning when the engine is not running.