Internal doors

Featured Posts

Hi, we are fitting out our boat and have come across a bit of a problem, internal doors cabin to head, head to saloon, my OH thinks louvre doors ? I'm struggling with the idea due to smells, warmth, but not sure of an alternative which would be thin enough, any idea's or advice would be greatly appreciated.

you can get almost any door online wood / oak to plastic coated in various sizes they are designed for bathroom kitchen bedroom furniture and usually reasonably priced. Don't forger large drawer fronts can be small doors.

I was looking for passageway doors for my boat and I discovered this company which seems to offer lots of narrowboat stuff. Angled shapes to match the tumblehome didn't appear to be a problem.

I didn't actually place an order in the end ( though still might at a later date), so can't vouch for the quality but the price quoted wasn't excessive at all..

http://www.tallboyswoodworking.co.uk/#!narrowboats---bathroom/cgsw

I agree that louvre doors are not much use for the heads or the shower area. Most of the internal doors I have

made in the past have had 22mm thick stiles and rails in solid hardwood with a 9mm thick veneered panel/panels.

The angled doors to fit the sloping sides of the boat can be a brute to measure but are easy enough to make. My normal practice with square ended doors, is make a rebated frame and hang the door in it in the workshop before taking the assembly to

the boat for fitting.

This method allows you to do the internal bulkheads and furnishings and just leave holes for the ready hung doors and frames to be made and fitted in one go.

Shaped doors used to block off a corridor are most easily fitted if you include a partial bulkhead a few inches wide to take some of the shape out of the boat side, its much better to fit the door against the partial

bulkhead rather than into a rebate. It also means any swelling or shrinking of the timber in changing seasons

wont jam the door in place. Try a look at my picture gallery, you may find some usefull ideas.

Mike.

Ive now had a look on the gallery and find that the pics I thought were there are not! (just a touch of senility on my part I think) If you care to look on the Waterways World site there is an article on internal doors in the April 2010 issue that can be downloaded for a small fee.