main water pump fault

robkg

Featured Posts

My fresh water pump is a jabsco variable speed one. It has worked fine for the last six years but has now developed a problem.

The symptom is that the pump will start to run very gently (slowly) for a second or two, every 30 seconds or so.

I initially thought this meant that I had a leak in the pipework somewhere, but after some investigation I now think it is a problem with the pump internally. I first checked the bilges at the lowest point on the boat (after the pump had been powered for three days) only to find them bone dry. I then closed the valve located immediately downstream of the pump, isolating the whole of the boats pipework, with the result that the pump still ran intermittently but for even shorter bursts and longer gaps. I concluded that the pump has a fault, and wondered if water is leaking back through a non return valve within the pump itself.

Does this sound right and if so what can I do to rectify the problem?