Insulation around the windows

Featured Posts

Hi,

I'm nearing the end of my fit out and finally coming to deal with the window frames. Having been focusing hard on other things it's only really just come to my attention that the steel immediately surrounding the perimeter of the window has no spray foam insulation (the insualtion goes up to the battens bordering the windows). What with the condensation it has gone a slight shade of rust, so would it be worth spraying a coat of hammerite over these small areas?

Cheers

If i understand correctly i would coat in red oxide and pack with insulation like a Kingspan type. The steel will just get covered in condensation otherwise.

Is it possible to make a frame for the inside of the window which is rebated over the internal linings and comes into contact with the inner face of the alloy frame? If the frames are made in one piece its then possible to fill the space between the timber battens and the alloy frames with rock wool. The bats used by builders for cavity wall insulation are fairly stiff and shouldnt sag over time.

The more of the alloy frame you cover up the better since this will always be a condensation area.

Mike.