Solid Fuel Rayburn

garysmith

Featured Posts

Hi my girlfriend and I are fitting out a new boat, the boat is 12,1/2`x 65` steel. We are looking to put a solid fuel rayburn in it to give us hot water + heating. I am hoping someone can tell me if its a good idea or not. can anyone help? :smiley_offtopic:

Hi my girlfriend and I are fitting out a new boat, the boat is 12,1/2`x 65` steel. We are looking to put a solid fuel rayburn in it to give us hot water + heating. I am hoping someone can tell me if its a good idea or not. can anyone help? :smiley_offtopic:

Yes it is a good idea. Rayburn M/F is multifuel, Royal is multifuel (ish depending on chimney base fitting) or if you have good cashflow a new 216M is the right beast they are about £3k. Can get secondhand units for as little as £200 or something but watch the boiler best to get a newer one really. Best thing I ever put in my boat I reckon.

Yes it is a good idea. Rayburn M/F is multifuel, Royal is multifuel (ish depending on chimney base fitting) or if you have good cashflow a new 216M is the right beast they are about £3k. Can get secondhand units for as little as £200 or something but watch the boiler best to get a newer one really. Best thing I ever put in my boat I reckon.

Thanks its good to hear from someone that have had one. :smiley_offtopic:

Thanks its good to hear from someone that have had one. :D

They are great, no better thing for a sunday roast (don't dry your trainers out in the warming oven though, mine came out a funny shape :smiley_offtopic: ). If you find a cheap 2nd hand one you can always buy a new back boiler (if the old one leaks) from the range man in Barby. Not cheap though (about £500 if I remember right) but they do fit them (even though they're dead easy to fit). I'll dig out his number if you're interested.

They are great, no better thing for a sunday roast (don't dry your trainers out in the warming oven though, mine came out a funny shape :smiley_offtopic: ). If you find a cheap 2nd hand one you can always buy a new back boiler (if the old one leaks) from the range man in Barby. Not cheap though (about £500 if I remember right) but they do fit them (even though they're dead easy to fit). I'll dig out his number if you're interested.

Hi thank you for your feed back on this. I have spare money to do are boat up so was goin to buy a new one, I just needed to find out if I was doing the right thing before I got one. :D

Gary

I've just taken one out of my boat (as I'm going to hire it out and thought hirers might be put off by it - especially in the height of summer), but whilst it was on board I had a friend using it who found it excellent, heating the cabin and the water as well as cooking, and very economical too. Therefore I would recommend it.

It's also good ballast, but a right pig to move!

Gary

I've just taken one out of my boat (as I'm going to hire it out and thought hirers might be put off by it - especially in the height of summer), but whilst it was on board I had a friend using it who found it excellent, heating the cabin and the water as well as cooking, and very economical too. Therefore I would recommend it.

It's also good ballast, but a right pig to move!

Hello Canal Shop Man

Thanks for your help. not looking forward to putting it on the boat, because I have to move it from one end to the other, cos there is only one door it will fit though! :smiley_offtopic:

We had one in a house for ten years and loved it but it would be a bit of a luxury in a boat . . .