Feedback on hire boats : what hire companies should know (and act on) !

Justin Smith

Featured Posts

I've looked at this thread with increasing astonishment as I have had none of the problems listed with any of the many hireboats I've used over the last 30 years

Wet rooms are a sensible use of limited space on any boat and if properly designed and used cause no more problems than a dedicated shower cubicle.

A loo-roll cover is a sensible part of the design and they have been around for more than 20 years to my certain knowledge.

I've looked at this thread with increasing astonishment as I have had none of the problems listed with any of the many hireboats I've used over the last 30 years

Wet rooms are a sensible use of limited space on any boat and if properly designed and used cause no more problems than a dedicated shower cubicle.

A loo-roll cover is a sensible part of the design and they have been around for more than 20 years to my certain knowledge.

I`m surprised to hear you say that.

We hire a boat every year, usually a narrowboat but also broads cruisers and stuff. We`ve never hired a boat with sufficient hanging space. I can`t remember the last time we had a boat which even had any where to hang your coat other than a couple of hooks in the wooden cubicle generally near the rear entrance door where the fuse box and stuff is often located. And those hooks are generally full of the waterproofs the boatyards supply (if any). There are hardly any shelves fitted to most of the boats we`ve ever hired, the last two boats we hired didn`t even have a shelf in the bathroom, not even a poxy small one for ones toothbrush and glass, incredible, but true ! These are facts.

Whether one likes wet rooms or not is different, it`s a subjective thing I suppose. Nobody in our family group likes them, but I can see why some feel they are worthwhile on a small boat. We've never had a shower in any boat (or campervan) we`ve ever hired which only has a wet room, it`s just too much hassle to dry it all out.