New towpath material

b0atman

Featured Posts

I am at Marple I attempted to moor on the peak forest 48 hour mooring but as has been the problem for years Bank edging stones in the water stop you getting near the rings Those that haven't fallen in.Sections are fenced off maybe the fences have planning permission ?

Any way I digress the Macclesfield towpath from Bridge 2 has been re done with what I can only describe as like silver sand my black shoes turned white very quickly and a lot of boaters will be cursing if anyone walks in to their boats with shoes on.

Hopefully the promised rain will do some good and damp down the dust or will it be like walking through ash ?

Most of the new towpaths appear to have been done with "road mix", which is basically pulverised stone. The dust seems to turn itself into a form of cement over time (and rain) and bind the bigger bits of stone in. It's all down the Caldon too now, but it's been rolled I think so it's a good hard surface. Of course, there's nowhere left you can get mooring pins in, but it's nice for the cyclists. And much, much easier to spot the dog muck, which is probably why most of it down the Caldon (Stoke end) seemed to have been put tidily into plastic bags before being thrown into the canal.

• Greenie 1

It's a different Waterways Unit, isn't it? The PF is Manchester, the Macc is Border Counties, I think.

No, they are both Manchester and Pennine.

The problem is that the repaired bit is towpath which will only benefit walkers and cyclists. Round the corner is washwall which will only benefit boaters.

George ex nb Alton retired

No, they are both Manchester and Pennine.

The problem is that the repaired bit is towpath which will only benefit walkers and cyclists. Round the corner is washwall which will only benefit boaters.

George ex nb Alton retired

Thanks for putting me straight. Those Unit boundaries have been fiddled with so often I've given up trying to keep track.

When I phoned CRT about state of peak forest 48 hr mooring I was told a supervisor would look at it with regards to fenced off sections and rings about to fall into the canal I would have thought that it should be on computer already ?