Harborough Marine bilge structure

Featured Posts

I viewed a 1987 (unverified) Harborough boat today and saw that it had a wet bilge - channels emerging at extreme P & S into stern bilge from the interior. Can anyone say what happens between the bow deck internal drains and the stern bilge i.e. are there normally channels for the water down either side of the cabin area or else is the whole cabin bilge exposed to the draining water? There's no inspection hatch in the cabin floor so there are no further clues.

I viewed a 1987 (unverified) Harborough boat today and saw that it had a wet bilge - channels emerging at extreme P & S into stern bilge from the interior. Can anyone say what happens between the bow deck internal drains and the stern bilge i.e. are there normally channels for the water down either side of the cabin area or else is the whole cabin bilge exposed to the draining water? There's no inspection hatch in the cabin floor so there are no further clues.

I would have thought that a 1987 Harborough Marine boat would be dry bilge and only the early ones that had wet bilge. However, if it has a wet bilge there 'should-will' be Limber holes through all the metal floor cross beams to allow water to flow through to the stern end where its pumped out.

Our Harborough certainly had a wet bilge throughout, with holes at each end of the cross-beams to let the water drain through from the front cockpit area to the stern where the bilge pump could deal with it. In practice this meant that the whole of the bottom of the boat was permanently wet, particularly as the shower and washbasin also emptied into the bilge instead of overboard. One give-away on any Harborough is that if the bow cockpit floor is at the same level as the interior floor, or nearly so, then the boat has a wet bilge. But then ours was 1969 vintage

Hello Everyone. My 1979 Harborough Marine has a wet bilge. Here are big steel beams running port to starboard, to rest the wood floor on. These steel beams rest on smaller steel beams welded on the base plate running the full length of the boat, from front to the back.

John.