SR2 TO ST2 CONVERSION

Ron m

Featured Posts

Hi,

I wonder if anyone on here can help me, I am trying to convert my 36ft narrowboat from a lister SR2 with a LM100 gearbox to an ST2 with a hurth 150 gearbox. The ST2 has come off a generator & is hand start only & fixed throttle. I have checked the archives & this has been done before,Can anyone tell me if the flywheels are interchangeable To save me buying a starter ring gear & what would I need to do to convert the throttle linkage?

Thanks Ron

The fan on the flywheel of an ST2 is different to an SR2 - the ST has a neat aluminium fan in place of the cast iron one.

The ST has a different arrangement for how the speed control is connected to the pump rack. The SR has the control passing out of the end if the gear cover, the ST comes out of the side of the pump housing. Ideally, you need to find these components from an ST. It may be possible to fit the SR speed control parts to the ST

I would be most concerned about the flywheel. I guess it will fit - I doubt that the fuel pump timing marks are the same and I would want to be sure about the length and the fit into the fan housing

Richard

There's a very strong chance that the generator engine will be of the opposite rotation to the marine unit. This may or may not affect your plan. It will almost certainly prevent swapping flywheels, because of the shape of the fan blades.

Tim

wise words. Unless the SR2 is focked (Dutch engineering term), there will be no improvement by swapping the engine.

The ST is a more powerful engine, whether you need that much more power in a 36ft boat is doubtful

Richard

And they're a bit noisier.

I believe that the ST2 was plugged by Lister sales people for hire fleets etc as a suitable replacement for the SR3, but it higher levels of noise & vibration made it unpopular. This led to an updated version of the SR3 being reintroduced as the original 'Lister Canalstar'.

Tim

I believe that the ST2 was plugged by Lister sales people for hire fleets etc as a suitable replacement for the SR3, but it higher levels of noise & vibration made it unpopular. This led to an updated version of the SR3 being reintroduced as the original 'Lister Canalstar'.

Tim

Yes, I've seen Canalstar labels on SR2's too, namely Tony Matts old hire boats at Foxton boat services. I swapped out my old SR2 for a ST2 because I wanted a bit more power for towing. The bit of extra noise is twofold, a little larger in capacity and max power is developed at higher revs. It's been a good engine though. It came out of an ex hire boat so goodness knows what treatment it got or how many hours in total it has run. I ran it up on on blocks before installing it and apart from sticky injectors cured by running about a pint of diesel fuel system cleaner through it, all was fine. I've since put over 2000 hours on it and it runs faultlessly and used all the year round. During the winter, ice permitting twice a week up to the sanitary station and shopping. I'm going down to the next lock in a minute 'Twyford' to post a letter where there is the nearest postbox.

Edited by bizzard

Hi guys ,thanks for your interest, the reason for swapping the flywheel was to avoid buying a new ring gear for the ST2 but if it is a big problem then I will have to bite the bullet & buy one. The pros. & cons. of swapping the engines were discussed on this forum on may 23 2012 & seemed to come out in favor of the ST2. I have checked the rotation & they are both anticlockwise, as for just swapping the gearbox, this was my original plan as the SR2 is in good condition but it takes a lot of effort to select forward gear.To fit the hurth I will have to refabricate the rear engine mounting brackets anyway.

As to the need for more power ,the boat has a max speed of just under 4mph & I want at some point to do the Ribble link so I would like to have a bit of power in reserve.

Thanks Ron

Yes, I've seen Canalstar labels on SR2's too, namely Tony Matts old hire boats at Foxton boat services.

I've never worked on one, but I have an idea that the original 'canalstar' was not a pure SR but did include some of the design improvements of the ST. Anyone know for sure?

It just occurred to me that the origin of the 'Canalstar' name might have been a designaton such as 'canal ST/R'. Of course, equally it might not.

Tim

Hi guys ,thanks for your interest, the reason for swapping the flywheel was to avoid buying a new ring gear for the ST2 but if it is a big problem then I will have to bite the bullet & buy one. The pros. & cons. of swapping the engines were discussed on this forum on may 23 2012 & seemed to come out in favor of the ST2. I have checked the rotation & they are both anticlockwise, as for just swapping the gearbox, this was my original plan as the SR2 is in good condition but it takes a lot of effort to select forward gear.To fit the hurth I will have to refabricate the rear engine mounting brackets anyway.

As to the need for more power ,the boat has a max speed of just under 4mph & I want at some point to do the Ribble link so I would like to have a bit of power in reserve.

Thanks Ron

I'd stick with the LM100 box, much smoother to engage and as long as the gear lever is at least 2 foot long shouldn't be difficult to engage gear. Perhaps it needs adjusting and the cross shaft lubricating.

Presumably the g/boxes are the same rotation and reduction or the prop will be wrong, I'm not saying I've done it but ........

The prop will probably be wrong anyway, because it's a different engine.

That said, the performance at the moment sounds to be rather poor, so the existing prop may well be too small, which is probably exactly what's needed for the higher revs of the ST, so could be worth a suck it and see approach.

Tim

Yes that is my view , looking back to the post in may 2012 the prop was not considered to be a problem then. The LM100 is a 2 to 1 reduction the hurth is very close to this anyway so I was thinking suck it & see

Just to clarify something. The ST flywheel will need to be machined for a ring gear before one can be fitted. The plant equipment seem to have solid flywheels without the step for the ring gear

Richard

Edited by RLWP