Annual winter holiday

Retreating Blade

Featured Posts

Hello All,

Mrs RB, No.2 son (14) and I are off on our annual winter cruise tomorrow. We're hiring (can't afford my own - yet) out of Sawley and are planning on T&M to Fradley then the Coventry Canal, hopefully as far as Coventry, but we're never in a rush.

Over dinner last night we were discussing how far down the cut we'd get before the first shreik of "SLOW DOWN!!" Estimates varied from 500 yards to 5 miles.

We generally have a summer cruise too and oddly enough we seem to get more shouts in winter than summer. Any ideas why?

Give us a wave as we 'flash' past. Large chap - yellow jacket - red British Heart Foundation cap to keep the rain off my glasses.

Cheers

RB

Hello All,

Mrs RB, No.2 son (14) and I are off on our annual winter cruise tomorrow. We're hiring (can't afford my own - yet) out of Sawley and are planning on T&M to Fradley then the Coventry Canal, hopefully as far as Coventry, but we're never in a rush.

Over dinner last night we were discussing how far down the cut we'd get before the first shreik of "SLOW DOWN!!" Estimates varied from 500 yards to 5 miles.

We generally have a summer cruise too and oddly enough we seem to get more shouts in winter than summer. Any ideas why?

Give us a wave as we 'flash' past. Large chap - yellow jacket - red British Heart Foundation cap to keep the rain off my glasses.

Cheers

RB

Do enjoy your trip!! How delightful to spend these glorious winter days on the water.

Hello All,

Cheers

RB

As I've said before; in 23 years of boating I've never been asked (or told) to slow down. Including Nottingham castle to Yelvertoft in three days, Beeston (shroppie) to Braunston in 5 and many other long distance, short time trips.

As I've said before; in 23 years of boating I've never been asked (or told) to slow down. Including Nottingham castle to Yelvertoft in three days, Beeston (shroppie) to Braunston in 5 and many other long distance, short time trips.

Maybe it's just hireboats that are seen as 'fair game' by some. Whatever, we'll have a good time and keep a log of the shouts.

RB

Do enjoy your trip!! How delightful to spend these glorious winter days on the water.

Thanks Bones, we will. We've done the winter cruise for about the last ten years I suppose and we've (nearly) always had good weather for the time of year. Cold sure, but the canals are clear of traffic and the pubs are quiet. Apart from nearly drowning the dog a couple of years ago (silly sod jumped/fell into a lock as it was filling) :P we've never had a bad trip.

Cheers

RB

Maybe it's just hireboats that are seen as 'fair game' by some. Whatever, we'll have a good time and keep a log of the shouts.

RB

I doubt it, there seem to be more experienced hirers out there, than 'privateers'. Nobody ever asks how many times I've been told to speed up, by the way, I'm a bit of a dawdler.

Disaster!

Just had a call from the boatyard and the River Trent is about to go into 'Red' mode because of all the rain so they can't let us loose until Monday at the earliest!! :P That's Coventry out the window. Ho hum.

RB

If it hasn't yet gone to red, you'd have thought they could have moved the boat and arranged for you to pick it up from the quieter waters of the T&M. It's only a few hundred yards after all, and I doubt they've got dozens of boats going out this weekend.

Make a large sign to stick (temporarily) on the side 'I CAN ALSO SPEED UP' ..... just a thought :P

I would think it's because you are the only moving boat to be seen for months. Simply because you are not stationary you appear to be going quickly. Bit like you have to mentally slow down more than you think you would when coming off the motorway.

If it hasn't yet gone to red, you'd have thought they could have moved the boat and arranged for you to pick it up from the quieter waters of the T&M. It's only a few hundred yards after all, and I doubt they've got dozens of boats going out this weekend.

Well, I thought of that but they're more concerned at my having to cross the river further down the cut at Shardlow is it? (The map's packed). Anyway, we'll drive up tomorrow and spend Sunday night on board for an early launch on Monday. Such is life.

"Make a large sign to stick (temporarily) on the side 'I CAN ALSO SPEED UP' ..... just a thought" Good idea and yes it probably is something to do with there not being much traffic. I often consider slamming it into reverse, making as much noise as possible whilst backing up, stopping alongside the 'shoutee' with even more revs and when all the smoke and noise abates, say, "Pardon?" But that would probably make matters worse :P

RB

• 2 weeks later...

Well that was fun. As predicted we got out of Sawley marina on Monday morning and, rafted up with another boat before going out on the Trent. It really was flowing and the sight of a boat on the weir made me glad we had a guy from the boatyard on board. We were making leeway of about 30 degrees as we crossed the current and entered the T&M.

Once on the canal we were left to our own devices and chugged through Shardlow and away. Around bridge 7 I noticed a growing rattle from the engine compartment so I chucked the boat into the bank and had a look. The alternator support bracket was loose and rattling against the crankshaft pulley; I rang the yard and asked them to meet me at bridge 8. Between 7 and 8 the bracket came off and the alternator made a dreadful noise as the fan was rubbing against something down there and I ended up jamming the blunt end of the boathook between the alternator and the crankcase. We got some very strange looks from a boat going the other way. The engineer met us at Weston Lock and sorted it out in no time and we were away again. We made it to Shenston(?) that day, Barton Turns on the Tuesday. On Wednesday morning we successfully negotiated the Trent crossing at Alrewas although we had to lay off about 15 degrees of drift to get out of the river and back into the canal. The river was 'Amber' at the time and word on the towpath was that a 70' boat had spent some time against the weir a day earlier so we kept well away from that side!

We made it Fradley at about 3.30 on Wednesday afternoon and after winding went back down through the top lock and moored up for the night opposite the waterpoint . Those new mooring rings are all right aren't they? We had dinner in the Swan that night which was 'all right' although the jam roly poly was a bit dried out.

Thursday it chucked it down all day but we had the full wet weather gear and the wind behind us and we made to just short of Willington before calling a halt. I'm always amazed at the number of people we see that don't have or at least don't wear wet weather gear when conditions dictate. We saw some people going the other way (into wind) that were absolutely soaked and must have been freezing.

The Friday plan was get to Shardlow, dinner in the pub, spend the night and onto Sawley next morning. As it happens we did all that but when we got to Shardlow the red lights were on for the Trent and Soar so we left the boat at Shardlow on the Saturday morning. The 'reds' weren't totally unexpected as we'd had rain almost every night and it certainly threw it down on Thursday.

No matter, we had a good trip, albeit shorter than planned but we did have the unexpected bonus (in the nicest possible way) of No. 2 son not coming with us. He decided it'd be boring so Jan and I and the dog had a 58 foot boat to ourselves. it was wonderful and although its only a week since we moored up in Shardlow, it seems like months. The weather was good, we met some nice people along the way and no-one, but no-one, shouted "SLOW DOWN" at me.

Roll on February 2008.

RB