Back Pain

enigma

Featured Posts

That relaxation of the spine is part of "Alexander technique" I reccomend it. Try and get on a short course.

I had a prolapsed disk L5/S1 that crippled me for years, until it totally burst, a ride in the air ambulance, and an emergency operation cured that.

That's intriguing. I've ordered a book from Amazon to do some more research

Thanks

I would just like to add a couple of things to this "back pain" post if I may. I have followed Bazza's excellent advice and got some great relief from it, and am not wearing my support now smile.png

Some further stretches have helped too, there are loads on youtube, but especially good is the "one minute" one which only takes...one minute.

Ice. I made a big pack of ice in the freezer in one of those zip up plastic bags, and it is extremely soothing if applied at about 20 mins per side. The science behind it is that it gets the blood moving.

Tennis ball. Wish I had found this 25 years ago! Place a tennis ball on the floor and lie on it with the spasmed muscle on it and just roll/wriggle around a bit! Hurts like hell but bliss at the same time.

I have also joined a gym that does a special "back care" course and early signs are good. Swimming (backstroke, I find breastroke hurts my back) is my other therapy.
As with anything always best to check with a GP before doing these things.

Edited by Guest

Progress!

Yesterday and today I tied my shoe laces without kneeling and without putting my foot up on a chair

I am dead chuffed.

Flexibility is generally improved quite remarkably for saying I only began this in the new year

I use one of those old fashioned leather pouffes, you know - red and black with a black and white square pattern on the top. It stands eleven inches high. If you live in a house you can use stairs, though you might wear out the carpet. Stairs is harder exercise though because there's no down between the ups.

Go gently at first with step ups for the first week I wouldn't do more than 50 a day and even then you can expect lactic acid pain on the second and third days. After a week or two you can up it to a 100. Increase your workrate slowly over a period of weeks. Oh and have a couple of days off all exercises and stretches for a couple of days every week.

I had a micrdiscecotomy on L4/L5 three weeks ago today.

Progress going ok. We moved a year ago from a 17C low ceilinged two story cottage, to a brand new house.

It's an upside down Eco house built into a hillside. The trip from our bedroom down near the river is 39 steps up to the lounge.

The 78 step round trip if you've forgotten your pain killers has been fun. One day I will count how many stairs I do on an average day at home but it is probably approaching 1000!

... Tennis ball. Wish I had found this 25 years ago! Place a tennis ball on the floor and lie on it with the spasmed muscle on it and just roll/wriggle around a bit! Hurts like hell but bliss at the same time.

Or you could spend loads of money on that Kyro thing that is advertised repeatedly on TV.

Alan

I was suffering quite badly with pain in my lower back...for a few weeks.

I enrolled at gym, and have been going for an hour and a half each day, most days.

The back pain has completely disappeared.

The rest of me now hurts though.

I think doing exercise loosens up the muscles.?

Progress!

Yesterday and today I tied my shoe laces without kneeling and without putting my foot up on a chair

I am dead chuffed.

Flexibility is generally improved quite remarkably for saying I only began this in the new year

Well done Barry, sounds like the exercises are making your arms longer :)