Solar wiring

chilligibbon

Featured Posts

I have just had a 3 panel kit delivered, each panel has a + and - cable and connector attached, I also have 2 loose cables with connectors 1 end and bare the other to go into controller.

Unless I am missing something I cannot work out how the panels will all link together.

Ideas please!!!!

The panels will (probably be series)

So

Panel 1 + goes to Panel 2 -

Then Panel 2 + goes to Panel 3 -

Now you have Panel 1- and Panel 3 + left - These are the +'ve and -'ve of the series array

These 2 will go to your charge / inverter etc ? This will be the other 2 cables you have with only one connector on each end

The Pos(+) and Neg (-) on each panel if MC3 or MC4 connectors will be male / females so you shouldn't get these wrong

PS I'm taking a calculated guess as i don't really know what 3 panel kit you have.......

Edited by EEng

Is this the kit http://midsummerenergy.co.uk/buy/solar-panel-kits/Sunrise_130W_Tripple.html If so EEng is right the panels all go in series. Dont forget to connect the controller to the battery first so it can detect your battery voltage and then connect the solar panels afterwards. Make sure you get the positives and negatives correct check everything twice before the final connection.

Just be careful.

The Tracer in the picture is the smaller model, not a 30A one. There are also 2 versions of the Tracer 30A - one at 100V max and one at 150V max.

The cables, if fitted with mc4 connectors, will be impossible to wire together incorrectly - however, you do need to know which end is which when connecting to the controller.

Is this the kit http://midsummerenergy.co.uk/buy/solar-panel-kits/Sunrise_130W_Tripple.html If so EEng is right the panels all go in series. Dont forget to connect the controller to the battery first so it can detect your battery voltage and then connect the solar panels afterwards. Make sure you get the positives and negatives correct check everything twice before the final connection.

Thanks Rogeriko, that is the kit, did some reading on series/parallel and voltages last night and understand a bit better now!

Just be careful.

The Tracer in the picture is the smaller model, not a 30A one. There are also 2 versions of the Tracer 30A - one at 100V max and one at 150V max.

The cables, if fitted with mc4 connectors, will be impossible to wire together incorrectly - however, you do need to know which end is which when connecting to the controller.

Hi Matty, the controller supplied is 30amp/150v so all looks good to go.

Just need the sun to shine now!