ROB looking for a new chairperson

Peter Cruiser

Featured Posts

But surely the idea of joining a boating group, such as RBOA or NABO, is to join like minded people who, together, have much more say in matters than does the individual when dealing with Canal and River Trust.

To this end, although I am at present a member of both, I may drop one as it doesn't seem to get its head above the embankment very much, or very high.

But surely the idea of joining a boating group, such as RBOA or NABO, is to join like minded people who, together, have much more say in matters than does the individual when dealing with Canal and River Trust.

To this end, although I am at present a member of both, I may drop one as it doesn't seem to get its head above the embankment very much, or very high.

Good point, NBTA is free voluntary donations welcome and currently NABO do seem the most impressive, maybe it's time to sign the dotted line and give my support, they are already preparing a response to the changes in The terms and Conditions of the licence and the fact they share information openly is a positive.

And all of those reasons equally apply to any facebook boater's group, with the added benefit that the facebook group can be more responsive, more inclusive and more democratic. Groups like NABO, RBOA, IWA seems a bit like dinosaurs to my generation and younger, their time is probably over, unless they can adapt, and adapt quickly, adopting a any organisational model from those online groups.

You can also see this decline in the difficulty CRT have had in recruiting 'friends'

Good point, NBTA is free voluntary donations welcome and currently NABO do seem the most impressive, maybe it's time to sign the dotted line and give my support, they are already preparing a response to the changes in The terms and Conditions of the licence and the fact they share information openly is a positive.

But aren't they bolting the stable door after the horse has bolted? I read the changes in licence t&c's as something the trust now intend to implement, not something they are currently actively consulting on, this having happened in the past now.

Happy to be corrected however.

But aren't they bolting the stable door after the horse has bolted? I read the changes in licence t&c's as something the trust now intend to implement, not something they are currently actively consulting on, this having happened in the past now.

Happy to be corrected however.

You're assuming, wrongly I think, that intention to implement is something that follows consultation rather than preceding it.

And all of those reasons equally apply to any facebook boater's group, with the added benefit that the facebook group can be more responsive, more inclusive and more democratic. Groups like NABO, RBOA, IWA seems a bit like dinosaurs to my generation and younger, their time is probably over, unless they can adapt, and adapt quickly, adopting a any organisational model from those online groups.

You can also see this decline in the difficulty CRT have had in recruiting 'friends'

I don't have a lot to do with Facebook, too much like wading through treacle. I haven't noticed any reports where various boating groups have been meeting up with CaRT including Facebook, where would they be?

From NABO's notes from the associations meetings it seems NABO were given one day to respond before meeting with CRT,, there has been no consultation, leaving us all only to react. It's okay discussing here, but telling CRT directly is important.

I agree with this. I sometimes wonder if we have more impact as individuals. The trouble with some organisations is that they seem to spend more time fighting over their constitution than fighting their cause.

You're assuming, wrongly I think, that intention to implement is something that follows consultation rather than preceding it.

I though t I had read reference on here to people being at meetings where these proposals were being discussed, but I could be wrong and I cant remember who it was now so cant find the references to it.

I don't have a lot to do with Facebook, too much like wading through treacle. I haven't noticed any reports where various boating groups have been meeting with CaRT including Facebook, where would they be?

A good number of like minded boaters arranged through Facebook to attend the Birmingham open meeting held by Richard Parry. Mainly in response to general live aboard bashing at the previous Milton Keynes one. Unfortunately it now seems these open meetings are on hold. Sharing information that Richard Parry was holding a twitter and Facebook debate also sparked a good amount of interest. So it does appear that boaters can use these channels to get involved. There is constant requests from boaters on the london boaters facebook page, organising canal clean ups, asking for feedback from CRT meetings to channel back and motivating other boaters to get in involved and attend meetings.

A good number of like minded boaters arranged through Facebook to attend the Birmingham open meeting held by Richard Parry. Mainly in response to general live aboard bashing at the previous Milton Keynes one. Unfortunately it now seems these open meetings are on hold. Sharing information that Richard Parry was holding a twitter and Facebook debate also sparked a good amount of interest. So it does appear that boaters can use these channels to get involved. There is constant requests from boaters on the london boaters facebook page, organising canal clean ups, asking for feedback from CRT meetings to channel back and motivating other boaters to get in involved and attend meetings.

I attended both meetings, and did not see yourself or louise there, and your first few sentences are not accurately factual.

With regards the Facebook and Twitter "debates?", again you are exaggerating the facts which does not help in any way.

It's not at all helpful, or constructive making stuff up to suit your agenda.

Unfortunately it now seems these open meetings are on hold.

So Facebookers, or whatever they are called, don't get to attend meetings any more whereas NABO and sometimes RBOA do.

So the point of your post was...

So Jim Owen has left RBOA so it would have been useful for the Email from them with the pdf mag to have been told this fact.

He is/was asking for points to bring up at CRT meetings but these are lost because no one has notified members.