GUCCC liveries

fittie

Featured Posts

This thread is or was about and still should be GUCCCo Ltd liveries. I have been able to contribute toward this by use of my archives, this entails some searching and then putting up the images. I do this in the hope someone will benefit from what is collected here.

As a researcher I don't expect to get involved in petty "one liner" arguments over some diverse point, everyone who does research will at some time be lead in the wrong direction, its par for the game, but then often out of that error pours a whole load more of information you would have never realized existed, that's the plus side of the game.

There are few places where someone seriously interested in canal boat history can go and find a collective of learned historians each with their particular aspects on the subject, often on H&H questions almost impossible to answer by reference material published are dealt with here in a few posts.

Could CRT do this at their established museums and archives? I think not.

This is a valuable resource not a centre for petty comments.

Those of us who spend time trying to find out more information can often feel "why bother at all" when comments are posted which literally degrade their work, often over minor points!

I apologise, I was purely trying to establish accurate information relating to the details of the middle Northwich boats.

Yes, I'd like to see that too.

At the moment, I'm neither accepting nor rejecting any claim about a different exhaust position, but I am struggling to see why that might have been, if engine is the same, and engine room size is the same as the small and large boats.

I'm trying to recall what Derek R said on this topic in respect of Tycho, but I've a feeling the oddity there may be that there are pictures that seem to show an offset exhaust that are likely to pre-date the air cooled engine going in. Perhaps I'm remembering wrongly, though?

I'm not convinced the central exhaust is set very far forwards on the Linslade picture, (Theophilus, I believe), and from what can be seen in the Bulls Bridge picture, (probably Sextans or Tycho), I'm also not convinced there either.

Yes, I'd like to see that too.

At the moment, I'm neither accepting nor rejecting any claim about a different exhaust position, but I am struggling to see why that might have been, if engine is the same, and engine room size is the same as the small and large boats.

I'm trying to recall what Derek R said on this topic in respect of Tycho, but I've a feeling the oddity there may be that there are pictures that seem to show an offset exhaust that are likely to pre-date the air cooled engine going in. Perhaps I'm remembering wrongly, though?

I'm not convinced the central exhaust is set very far forwards on the Linslade picture, (Theophilus, I believe), and from what can be seen in the Bulls Bridge picture, (probably Sextans or Tycho), I'm also not convinced there either.

I think you should start a new thread Alan then we could pool all our stuff in one place, I have done extensive research on these boats having to work on "Tucana" and I haven't found much, only one drawing seems to exist atm for instance.

Those of us who spend time trying to find out more information can often feel "why bother at all" when comments are posted which literally degrade their work, often over minor points!

I think there is a debate here that is as interesting to me as the livery variations. Laurence.

If there are ways of saying something is clearly a "middle" boat, rather than a "small" or "large", then I'm interested to know what they are.

Whilst not dismissing the "exhaust further forward" suggestion, unless I'm missing something, I have yet to see a photo that is clear enough and detailed enough to show this unambiguously. Against that, I can see some not particularly well defined images where I see no great evidence of it.

Is it not possible to debate the detail, and still keep it friendly ? (That comment not aimed at either of you specifically - I know it is easy to get quite passionate when we think we are right, and think somebody else isn't "getting it"!).

This thread is or was about and still should be GUCCCo Ltd liveries. I have been able to contribute toward this by use of my archives, this entails some searching and then putting up the images. I do this in the hope someone will benefit from what is collected here.

As a researcher I don't expect to get involved in petty "one liner" arguments over some diverse point, everyone who does research will at some time be lead in the wrong direction, its par for the game, but then often out of that error pours a whole load more of information you would have never realized existed, that's the plus side of the game.

There are few places where someone seriously interested in canal boat history can go and find a collective of learned historians each with their particular aspects on the subject, often on H&H questions almost impossible to answer by reference material published are dealt with here in a few posts.

Could CRT do this at their established museums and archives? I think not.

This is a valuable resource not a centre for petty comments.

Okay Laurence, my mistake. I wrongly assumed you were interested in dealing with facts, not fiction.

Let us both hope that out of your error, more information comes to light that we never new existed and provides us with the answer.