Battery Chainsaw offer at B&Q

paulbo666

Featured Posts

I bought an electric Ryobi some years ago specifically for cutting logs on a sawing horse, it worked well but sadly the chain tensioning arrangement is cr*p and it won't keep the chain on for long. One day I might see if that can be improved upon. I also have an ex-forestry Husqvarna. Yes, of course you could cut your leg off with the Ryobi but it would be a much harder job than with the Husky, they are different beasts with different chains, different chain speeds and powers etc., and in my case used in different environments (or that was the theory). There are risks with using either saw but those risks are of a different order IMO.

Tim

My Dad works in Arboricultural training and standard setting.

Proper PPE is a must for any job. What makes proper? That is to some extent down to the operator to decide...

But, if you are using a chainsaw then I would say ballistic trousers are a must. If you are having trouble with steaming goggles, then you should look to proper arb kit, they use mesh visors. Ear defense, steel toecaps and decent gloves.

Personally I have a bowsaw which I use for cutting smaller branches, and I mostly burn coal anyway.

My Initial post (1) was purely to make forum users awarwe of an apparent good deal on a battery chaisaw on offer. I have subsequentlytaken advanage of this (post 3).

The post was for info only, I have no desire to take part in a discussion about PPE whether its suitability, use, storage of, lifespan of, or (lack of) maintenance of.

I do though completely agree that care should be taken when using any powered tool and some tools depending on function and power should be treated with high(er) respect with regard safe use.

I normally use a bow saw for log cutting but have sometimes found it hard work particularly with wet lumber depending on how many I wish to cut, how good the blade an d how knackered I am.

The battery saw option tool suits my particular purposes and situation.It may not suit everyone, but hey thats a choice we all have.

Yes.. I do use PPE, am safety concious, but don't have Kevlar in my trousers!!

Happy Christmas.

paulb

Just to follow up on my earlier post, I've looked at a few specifications.

The B&Q battery saw has a chain speed of 4.4 metres/sec.

A Husqvarna 450 'all round saw', for serious non-pro users, has a speed of 17.3 m/s, and the professional 555 goes to 21.3 m/s, which is FIVE TIMES that of the B&Q cordless job.

Plus there's a lot more power there, and a chain which is designed with serious cutting in mind rather than a compromise between safety and effectiveness. It's rated at 3 kW, or 4 hp, I'd be surprised if the cordless saw managed more than 1/2hp.

Tim

This is precisely why Stihl - 'the market leader' (well at least in the professional market), insist that their dealers do some form of proper handover - and they do.

It doesn't help their sales as folks always want a bargain. Other manufacturers are not so ethical.

OTOH people will complain about the Nanny State - reserving the right to chop of their body parts...

now thats a pumpout VS cassette debate in the chainsaw world, you seem to have forgotten Husqvarna

I bought a Husqvarna 236 for a good price a couple of years ago, after starting out with a cheap Chinese chainsaw which had certain parts which really should have been metal, made out of plastic and subsequently break (the starter mechanism, for example). Although its smaller and less powerful than most other chainsaws, its perfectly adequate (after all how many times do you fell large trees?) and a bit quieter too. I'd recommend skipping the cheap stuff and going straight for a base model Stihl or Husky.

My Dad works in Arboricultural training and standard setting.

Proper PPE is a must for any job. What makes proper? That is to some extent down to the operator to decide...

But, if you are using a chainsaw then I would say ballistic trousers are a must. If you are having trouble with steaming goggles, then you should look to proper arb kit, they use mesh visors. Ear defense, steel toecaps and decent gloves.

Personally I have a bowsaw which I use for cutting smaller branches, and I mostly burn coal anyway.

i have just realised who your Dad is, wow, at least in my world wow