Victron Multiplus - Cooling Fan Operation

Monsoon merchant

Featured Posts

Hi

We have a Victron Multiplus 12-3000-120. It's a couple of years old, but we have only got shorepower this year, and have only fairly recently been using the charger function, as we have solar.

When the charger is first switched on, the fan comes on straight away, as you might expect when the charger is under significant load. It then goes off, but will cut in and out when the charger is on float, for no obvious reason. The charger does not feel hot, and the cupboard is well-ventilated.

Does this sound right? It's a bit irritating during the night, and my limited electrical knowledge would indicate that the more the fan is on, the shorter its life will be?!

Any ideas?

Thanks.

My victron charger does that....and yes it's very annoying! I must admit I didnt think the combis did it...none of the customers I have fitted them for have commented on it. I checked with Victron and no one could say if it was a fault or not on the charger...I just swtich it off at night now....

Blue Sea have got a new charger coming out which does have a fan silence button....I'm very tempted!

Cheers

Gareth

smiley_offtopic.gif slightly

So the Blue Sea has a fan fitted that runs when required (high temperature?) but you can turn it OFF, so why fit it.

If fan is required then turning it OFF could possibly cause over heating and equipment damage.

Of course it may reset after a determined time and then run even if turned OFF.

Just theorising wink.png

smiley_offtopic.gif slightly

So the Blue Sea has a fan fitted that runs when required (high temperature?) but you can turn it OFF, so why fit it.

If fan is required then turning it OFF could possibly cause over heating and equipment damage.

Of course it may reset after a determined time and then run even if turned OFF.

Just theorising wink.png

My guess is that it will also reduce the amount if charge amps.

My guess is that it will also reduce the amount if charge amps.

Yep that's quite correct...means it charges at a reduced output....not really a problem if you are on a landline 24/7 but leaves a high capacity should you need it...it also has some other nice features such as independent charging of 3 banks.

This isn't helping the OP though....sorry!

Cheers

Gareth

I have a Victron combi and the fan only comes on when under load. It however does have good cool airflow and not stuck in a cupboard.

Totally agree, no fan normally, if it comes on something unusual has happened. I have a 240v fridge my combi is in a cupboard but with vents top and bottom, and the fan only comes on when something requiring a lot more power than the fridge is running off inverter or I have just plugged in and the charger is in bulk or early adsorption stage.

Our 1600 muliplus fan comes on at night for about 30 seconds when the fridge cuts in. Also, because the combi cupboard is close to the engine (trad style stern) it stays on for 2 or three hours after we moor up for the day because of the heat from the engine.

Mick

Edited by zodiak

When I plug in my boat my 24/3000 combi fan comes in and runs till the charge goes down to the float level and does not ever run again.

I would question the state of your batteries and just what 12 volt equipment you are running obviously something is drawing loads of current.

I only have lighting running off 24 volt the rest 230/240 volt. Right now I'm running 2.4Kw fan heater and an immersion and about to do some toast! Which suggests the fan only runs for charge cooling.

Hmmm, that's a bit confusing then. Only 12v equipment running at night is the Shoreline 12v fridge, which is only quite a small load really, but I suppose is a possibility. Batteries are not new, but I don't think have had it either. Victron box feels completely cold to the toiuch, but perhaps this is misleading - is the fan thermostat-based or some other mechanism?

Thanks for all the replies.

Well I just turned mine off and on again so still running the fan heater and on the charging side she went to bulk to absorbtion and no fan. So I would say the fan is temp related as my engine room is right now as cold as witches tit. I would say you have something amiss.

Experiment, turn the fridge OFF (overnight) but leave everything else the same, if it stops happening, then the answer is found.

ps. Fridge and food inside should be OK, if you do not open the door, whilst the experiment is running.

Edit: if the charger is ON and supplied from shoreline, then the batteries have nothing to do with it, as the charger is running all 12v equipment (up to it maximum rated output)

Edited by bottle

Our fan runs when charging hard if on mains, or when any significant discharge happens when off 240 in. Very handy! the other night I heard the fan start in the middle of the night. Unusual that, so I checked. Yep, run out of credit on the meter.

Bob