Barrus Shire Problem

Serenity Malc

Featured Posts

Yello,

I have a Barrus Shire 35 engine which has recently started to sometimes only run for 2 to 5 seconds before dying. Then again yesterday I ran down to Molesey Lock for water and she was perfect. However this morning she will again die after 3 or 4 seconds.

My thoughts are that maybe I have some water in the fuel but I also know nothing of diesel bugs or the like. Any informed ideas would be very gratefully received before I start digging around.

Thanks Serenity Malc..

Suck some fuel from the bottom of the tank to check for water.

Check all connections in the fuel line.

Look for any hairline cracks, that need a microscope to see, in the fuel pump. This happened to a friend and was the devil to find.

Change the fuel filter.

Yello,

I have a Barrus Shire 35 engine which has recently started to sometimes only run for 2 to 5 seconds before dying. Then again yesterday I ran down to Molesey Lock for water and she was perfect. However this morning she will again die after 3 or 4 seconds.

My thoughts are that maybe I have some water in the fuel but I also know nothing of diesel bugs or the like. Any informed ideas would be very gratefully received before I start digging around.

Thanks Serenity Malc..

Is it just cutting out when you are moored and running engine for power, not cruising??

Something else to check........

On my Barrus Shire 45 there is a small cylindrical electric fuel pump. If this fails, as long as there is a good "head" of fuel in the tank the engine will still run but the fuel feed will obviously be at reduced pressure. This reduced pressure can result in the engine cutting out a few seconds after first starting, although it will eventually restart and run OK.

So, if you have one of these fuel pumps, check it is working ok.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380685379382?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

We had this problem a couple of years ago on our Barrus Shire 40 engine with symptoms of starting and stopping intermittently, fault finally tracked downby RCR to an internal partial collapse of the primary fuel filter. Once this had been replaced engine ran as sweet as a nut as she normally does. Might be worth a look.

Something else to check........

On my Barrus Shire 45 there is a small cylindrical electric fuel pump. If this fails, as long as there is a good "head" of fuel in the tank the engine will still run but the fuel feed will obviously be at reduced pressure. This reduced pressure can result in the engine cutting out a few seconds after first starting, although it will eventually restart and run OK.

So, if you have one of these fuel pumps, check it is working ok.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380685379382?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Same happened to me lack of fuel filter prior to the electric lift pump allows rust etc to cream cracker it

Peter