BA15D LED lamps

MtB

Featured Posts

There is a risk with breathing. There is a risk with everything; the question is how big is the risk, and what are the consequences?

Smoking, alcohol, junk food, lack of exercise and motors cars will kill off many members of this forum. I doubt if cheap LED lights will kill any.

We need to keep things in proportion.

George, I fitted a "" proper ""suppliers LED lights in a house, with fully regulated supplies.

When my son came running downstairs after three months and said his lights were exploding, I went up to see, and had to extinguish with fire extinguisher after pulling out of roof with a garden fork.

B&Q failed to agree that they were dangerous.

B&Q failed to prove that they had been installed incorrectly as their manager surmised.

B&Q also failed to prove that any fault was evident other than their supplied items.

I got the whole upper house rewired(due to wiring damage) and proper LED installation installed in all upper rooms.

Two things to note about those adaptors.....

1) Even if everything will fit, they tend to make the actual LED panel very offset from the centre of what you might be fitting them to. (The bigger the diameter of the panel - e,g, those with most individual LEDs - the worse that offset gets). Not a show-stopper, but the lights look a bit odd in use with the largest arrays.

2) Some of those adaptors swivel, to allow you to change the angle of the LED panel. My very first LEDs from Baddie the Pirate did, so I could use them, (subject to (1) above). But when I was loaned some Bedazzled lights to try out by my local chandlery, (who were a Bedazzled agent), their adaptors did not allow the panel to rotate. The orientation of the BA15D sockets was fixed, and the adaptor resulted in the LEDs pointing completely the wrong way. This was useless, so I returned them.

Ultimately I modified all my fittings to get rid of the old BA15D sockets completely - laborious and time consuming, but very much neater, and the panels now plug in dead central and flat in each of my old lights.

Now here's the thing - new boat has no satisfactory lights whatsoever. Just 24W bus bulbs that burn 2 amps and produce almost no light, or mains low energy bulbs that require a very thirsty inverter running. So I assumed it would be possible to walk into a chandlery and buy nice modern lights where an LED panel with lots of power can be plugged directly in, with no adaptor......... Three chandleries later, I have found nothing better than some very small units that will take panels of up to about 12 LEDs. I have bought a couple as an emergency battery saving measure, but, sat here, hardly able to see my keyboard, I can confirm they are not very bright at all. I really don't want to buy a load of new housings designed for tungsten or halogen incandescent bulbs, and convert them, so I'm really hoping a bit of internet research will find a suitable off the shelf item

http://www.baddiethepirate.co.uk/btppages/b2224.htm

I assume what you're looking for are B22, or BC in the old terminology (as per ditchcrawler's link). Bus bulbs come in BA15 and B22. I did buy, from another seller, the BA15 (SBC) version of the lamp in that link, but they were too long for our fittings.

I'm sure I've seen some B22 LED lamps on ebay.

Tim

Edited by Timleech

George, I fitted a "" proper ""suppliers LED lights in a house, with fully regulated supplies.

When my son came running downstairs after three months and said his lights were exploding, I went up to see, and had to extinguish with fire extinguisher after pulling out of roof with a garden fork.

B&Q failed to agree that they were dangerous.

B&Q failed to prove that they had been installed incorrectly as their manager surmised.

B&Q also failed to prove that any fault was evident other than their supplied items.

I got the whole upper house rewired(due to wiring damage) and proper LED installation installed in all upper rooms.

Were these GU10s, by any chance?

I agree that some of them are rather dodgy. I use the flat disc type of lamp with G4 fitting ( 2 stiff wires poking out). They have been absolutely fine.