Repainting stove

Hannah Jones McVey

Featured Posts

I'm about to repaint my stove. I've just re sealed the bottom of the flue and was cracking on with cleaning and sanding the stove as instructed but I just wanted to check some things which are probably very silly. As I sand a redish tint is coming out from under some of the black. Is this rust? It's not bubbly or bright red, like a morning ember glow...if that makes sense? Should I try and get to the bottom of this (literally) before painting or is it normal? Any other tips?

Thanks

Do you know what make or model the stove is?

I assume you are talking about a coal, wood or multifuel stove.

It sounds to me a little bit like you might have an old stove which was originally enamelled which has been overpainted

Whatever you do make sure use a proper heat resisting stove paint.

Follow the instructions which will include lighting a small gentle fire to heat the stove slowly and bake on the paint.

Open boat doors on the first burn and let it cool to cold before relighting again a small fire, don't,t let the stove get to hot to soon./

Assuming it looked ok and not rusty before, I would give it a quick go over with a handheld wire brush, and then rattle can over it with BnQ stove/bqq paint and be done with it. The other option is grate polish...

Daniel

It's an arrow fires multi fuel, sorry.

Thanks guys...I have stove paint and am pretty sure of the steps I need to take but just wanted to double check I wasn't about to do something totally ridiculous. Daniel, what you said fits best to be honest...it just has a little patch of mild rust that came off with a quick sand.

Thanks