Waterway Recovery Group

Jon

Featured Posts

I've put this in holidays because I'm not really sure quite where else it fits...

Has anyone here done a WRG Canal Camp? If so, did they enjoy it, would then go again?

I'm thinking of doing one this year and would be interested to get thoughts and opinions?

Jon

Yes I've done several. Thoroughly good time, only a dodgy back keeps me from participating now.....There's something for everyone at all skill levels, 18 - 80, everyone is part of the team. The food is excellent too, cooked by wrg's own catering volunteers.

I did one camp on the Queens Head section of the Montgomery Canal, plus several weekend visits. I returned last autumn by boat and it made all the effort worthwhile. Have also attended camps on the Grantham Canal and Slea Navigation, plus several Big Digs and reunions.

(I've an idea the upper age limit is 70 but not certain....

BTW, its waterway recovery group, there's no S........They get quite upity about that.....:lol:

Thanks for the replies folks.

I've changed the title of the thread accordingly :lol:

Has anyone else been on a camp? I was thinking of doing the IWA festival camp to start off with as that kind of thing is right up my street, and if I enjoy that go on one of the more traditional restoration camps next year.

Jon

I appreciate the gesture, and I'm sure they are good fun, but I find it difficult to see the benefit of restoring something like the Montgomery canal, then have English Nature, or whatever they call themselves these days, come along and say "Oh isn't this nice, but we dont want any nasty boats coming down it".

Isn't it a bit demoralising for all the people who have given their time and effort voluntarily to help restore a canal?

And with the state of BW's finances, if a canal does get restored, is it going to be maintained?

Grumpy mode OFF.

I appreciate the gesture, and I'm sure they are good fun, but I find it difficult to see the benefit of restoring something like the Montgomery canal, then have English Nature, or whatever they call themselves these days, come along and say "Oh isn't this nice, but we dont want any nasty boats coming down it".

Isn't it a bit demoralising for all the people who have given their time and effort voluntarily to help restore a canal?

And with the state of BW's finances, if a canal does get restored, is it going to be maintained?

Grumpy mode OFF.

I agree, unfortunately if a canal is built mainly with wildlife in mind there will be a funding problem as they don't pay 'nesting fees' or 'paddling licenses'.

A fair point, but sure any restoration/preservation is better than none at all? Even if it doesn't get rebuilt for passage, sure it's better that its restored rather than it being turned into the latest out of town retail complex because it's just abandoned?

To be honest, I'm looking at it as a way of meeting some likeminded people and having a laugh...

Jon