Pontcysyllte, Chirk and Trevor

Peter-Bullfinch

Featured Posts

Perhaps it is worth explicitly pointing out for non-boaters that the pivot for the rudder on narrowboats is not the leading edge as is common on yachts but some inches further back. As the main bulk of the trailing rudder swings to the right say, then the leading edge swings to the left. If something hits this then the rudder tends to swing more sharply in the direction in was turning anyway.

Going back to the original video , shouldn't the stern line be hung on the tiller pin?

(very tempting to post that comment by itself to watch the reaction but I am only joking!)... Nice video .. thanks

Perhaps it is worth explicitly pointing out for non-boaters that the pivot for the rudder on modern narrowboats is not the leading edge as is common on yachts but some inches further back. As the main bulk of the trailing rudder swings to the right say, then the leading edge swings to the left. If something hits this then the rudder tends to swing more sharply in the direction in was turning anyway.

Modern narrowboats at least, many historic boats have completely unbalanced rudders, with nothing forwards of the pivot point.

There isn't a problem with it, people bang on about it, but, only a tiny weakling could ever get knocked in by a tiller, my tiller points where I hold it, so i'd have to swing it into myself and then step off the back!

Casp'

Generally true but I've pulled in a 4 inch diameter fencing log with a 6ft length of steel cable/wire attached it. Wire's wrapped around the prop, log's smashed into the back of the rudder and sent the tiller hard over and stopped the engine dead. If I'd been in the tiller arc on the right (or wrong depending on how you look at it) side it'd have fired me straight off the side of the boat into the cut. Rare as, never happened before or since.

A friend passed me this You Tube Clip lasting about three and a half minutes of us on the Llangollen Canal this June. The other day I unwisely said here in the forum that I wouldn't dare post a clip of our boat for fear of criticism! I have been challenged to post this and take on board all comments about droopy fenders, exhaust stacks, steering backwards, steering forwards, general boat appearance and state of my fat stomach..

Here goes;

http://youtu.be/kfbeSLnPCY0

Lovely boat

I've looked at photos that I took when the boat was out of the water being blacked and as far as I can see there is only a couple of inches at most of leading edge in front of the tiller post below the water line. It would take something with the weight of a railway sleeper catching it to exert any real force on it, and even then it would have had to come through the prop to do so. The reason I was asking was because I was concerned whether there was some danger that I was unaware of and had been cheating death for all these years!!:help:

My own position of comfort is with my hands in my pockets (keeps them warm on these colder autumn days) and with the tiller arm tucked under my arm. Steering then just requires slight leaning onto the tiller or gently pulling with the arm. Whether it looks naff or not, I'm comfortable and that is what I find important B)

There's three people on this thread, and a couple of others including Dave may all, who've had the tiller swung violently when going forwards. I've had it myself, when crunching over some gnarly object on the Curly Wyrley.

Obviously assessing the risk is up to you, because even if unlikely it is still possible. If you're happy taking the risk that you might get pushed into the cut violently, and possibly chewed up by the blade, then of course you can do that; I just don't fancy taking the risk.

Edit to add: you're also less likely to fall off the boat if it grounds on some submerged object and rolls, which I've had quite a lot on the BCN, being 3' deep. I'm very glad I was safely in the hatches when we ran over something in the middle of Netherton tunnel, and, having been going pretty fast, violently rocked the boat.

Edited by FadeToScarlet

There's three people on this thread, and a couple of others including Dave may all, who've had the tiller swung violently when going forwards. I've had it myself, when crunching over some gnarly object on the Curly Wyrley.

Obviously assessing the risk is up to you, because even if unlikely it is still possible. If you're happy taking the risk that you might get pushed into the cut violently, and possibly chewed up by the blade, then of course you can do that; I just don't fancy taking the risk.

Edit to add: you're also less likely to fall off the boat if it grounds on some submerged object and rolls, which I've had quite a lot on the BCN, being 3' deep. I'm very glad I was safely in the hatches when we ran over something in the middle of Netherton tunnel, and, having been going pretty fast, violently rocked the boat.

Getting wet's enough to put me off without the threat of the diesel powered meat grinder. ohmy.png

Rather over-dramatic. if you were this worried about stuff that almost never happens you wouldn't go cruising at all. Though I sit on the roof while chugging, mostly, but do stand on the back for locks etc.

Casp'

I don't know anyone who has been swung off their boat by the tiller, and we've been boating many years, my family had boats before I was born and no example of this is known to us. I do know people who have jumped in and broken their leg, and someone who broke their arm walking by the facilities etc etc...

Edited by casper ghost

Rather over-dramatic. if you were this worried about stuff that almost never happens you wouldn't go cruising at all. Though I sit on the roof while chugging, mostly, but do stand on the back for locks etc.

Casp'

I don't think it's over dramatic. There is a risk when you stand within the arc of the tiller, yes it's pretty small, but it's up to individuals whether they think that's acceptable. You do, I don't, so we'll just have to agree to differ.

Casp'

I don't know anyone who has been swung off their boat by the tiller, and we've been boating many years, my family had boats before I was born and no example of this is known to us. I do know people who have jumped in and broken their leg, and someone who broke their arm walking by the facilities etc etc...

It's not over dramatic in the sense that to avoid the risk you simply don't stand in a certain spot, you take a step forward and the risk is gone. It's not like he's telling you to boat in a chainmail suit and an airbag. It couldn't be less dramatic in fact.

It's not over dramatic in the sense that to avoid the risk you simply don't stand in a certain spot, you take a step forward and the risk is gone. It's not like he's telling you to boat in a chainmail suit and an airbag. It couldn't be less dramatic in fact.

Perceived risk, you should have said.. The over-dramatic part is saying about being chopped up by the propeller.

I also know of someone who, standing on the step in the hatch, fell down the steps into the boat, while chugging, so avoid that risk, maybe they should have sat on the roof like I do, or maybe they should just chug, it's hardly a danger sport..

Casp'

Edited by casper ghost

I don't think it's over dramatic. There is a risk when you stand within the arc of the tiller, yes it's pretty small, but it's up to individuals whether they think that's acceptable. You do, I don't, so we'll just have to agree to differ.

On my boat, the only place you could steer that is out of the tiller arc would be the front of the hatch. I couldn't imagine spending seven hours stood in that position, I tend to steer according to the conditions, this could be from the transom, the gunwale or the roof.

Perceived risk, you should have said.. The over-dramatic part is saying about being chopped up by the propeller.

I also know of someone who, standing on the step in the hatch, fell down the steps into the boat, while chugging, so avoid that risk, maybe they should have sat on the roof like I do, or maybe they should just chug, it's hardly a danger sport..

Casp'

Fair enough, that was a tad over dramatic.

On my boat, the only place you could steer that is out of the tiller arc would be the front of the hatch. I couldn't imagine spending seven hours stood in that position, I tend to steer according to the conditions, this could be from the transom, the gunwale or the roof.

You could remove a couple of inches from the tiller bar to make it more comfortable.

Let's not talk about steering from the roof, though, you know what happened last time! :D

I am sure that like me, many of you spend long happy hours at the tiller watching the world slide by and pondering all of life's little mysteries. But..whilst we are so happily engaged we need to move around a bit and change position. So..we move from side to side and forwards and backwards. Some even go up and perch for a while. We like to think we are concentrating too so maybe it's not too bad to move a bit from time to time.

Mind you..narrowboats can do you nasty injuries. My fall after slipping from the roof one wet evening after a long day arriving in Castelfield on the Rochdale Nine caused broken ribs on the tiller handle and a badly gashed leg from the coal box step as I fell into the back cabin. Tiredness and a wet roof and my own foolishness were the main causes. A salutary lesson for me. Boats can bite back...I suppose we just should try and minimise the risks.