Does anyone remember this boat (Elaine/Lucky Duck) from the 90s?

Black Ibis

Featured Posts

Our old boat, Lucky Duck was always something of a mystery. The builder was listed as Unknown in all the documentation we had for the boat, and we didn't know anything about the history of the boat prior to 2004 when it was bought in a neglected state by the guy from whom we bought it in 2008. Various respected and knowledgeable people of the boating world had looked at it and scratched their heads. But now the mystery is solved! It was built in 1980 in Brierley Hill and then extensively remodeled by a private individual who was a boatbuilder in 1985.

http://severnerwillow.wordpress.com/2014/10/20/solving-the-mystery-of-lucky-ducks-builder/

I still have a few questions though. Who was building narrowboats at Brierley Hill in 1980? (Ian Kemp has been suggested)

And does anyone recognise it/know anything about who owned in in the 90s/early 2000s? Possibly Birmingham way?

It's quite a distinctive boat.

Before and after remodeling in 1985

1012287_10152304951236008_83491762258647

10600660_10152304951591008_1308031083858

The boat now

1.+Exterior.jpg

Mods, if you think this would better belong in H&H, please move it! But it's not old old history so thought perhaps it was better here.

Edited by Black Ibis

Hi

Might it have been Delph Marine? I'm not sure when they started, but I did some work for them in the late 80s. They built in a unit near to the bottom of Delph locks. The two sons of the original owner are still around, I see one from time to time, I'll see what I can find out. I'm less sure about Ian Kemp, I know he was involved in building a few boats in the Midlands long ago, but remember that he didn't move from Ellesmere to Dadfords until, I think, 1996.

Cheers

Dave

Hi

Might it have been Delph Marine? I'm not sure when they started, but I did some work for them in the late 80s. They built in a unit near to the bottom of Delph locks.

I can remember the boatyard, based in some scruffy buildings on the offside.

A Google search has produced a previous thread and a picture .

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=8928

2756472220_23f925843d.jpg