Delph Marine

Featured Posts

I am interested in a boat that is advertised as having been built by Delph Marine. Anyone any comments or observations on this builder - would they have build from scratch or did/do they buy in shells. Are they a regarded builder? The boat is a 1992 and looks well build with steel reported as 8/6/3

Any comments gratefully received,

Nev

Edited by Nev

I am interested in a boat that is advertised as having been built by Delph Marine. Anyone any comments or observations on this builder - would they have build from scratch or did/do they buy in shells. Are they a regarded builder? The boat is a 1992 and looks well build with steel reported as 8/6/3

Any comments gratefully received,

Nev

Nev,

Surprise is a Delph Marine shell. They were well-regarded fabricators working at the lower end of the middle market. Mine has a composite bottomplate 8mm at the front and 10mm from the swims backwards (in fact the uxterplate (?) think that's right) is closer to 11mm. The company was run by Dennis Granger and employed his sons and others just outside Brierley Hill in the Black Country. The reallly nice bloke at Lime Kiln Chandlery said Dennis was a really thoughtful boat builder but perhaps not adept with cashflow (sounds familar) and I suspect that some of the older hands on the forum might know him. He originally produced boats for Screwcraft in the early days of leisure boating. Some of his workers went on to work at Orion who produce delightful tug style boats. Mike Stevens has more on his website, try here. There are some real idiosyncrasies about these hulls, not least the diagonal bracing on the hull sides. Mine also has quite long swims and in combination with the weighting of the bottom plate has kept ballasting to a minimum - mostly engineering bricks at the rear and mahogany (!) under the kitchen floor. She swims very well but has quite a deep draught (about 2'6"). The chines on Surprise are pronounced and generally she's a classic BCN shape (brick shape with a rounded end and pointy end). The prow isn't pretty in a Josher sense but she's a no nonsense shape and I like that. The standard of welding is good and Surprise is quite straight-sided despite having a few knocks. Check the position of the handrail and the rainwater gaps as mine is very close to the side hatch and caused the waterproofing seal to perish and then leak.

Surprise had only lost .2-3mm in 14 years on survey last year and George's only advice was to watch the anodes and make sure that she was blacked every 18 months to 2 years as she had been prior to me buying her. Her original BMC 1.8 engine was replaced in 2002 after seizing catastrophically and replaced with a Beta 43 Greenline which is very lovely indeed (and even I can service it!). Do watch the skeg arrangement as it extends out from the baseplate. Mine is a brutally effective arrangement featuring angle section and a hole drilled in the end. This has caused major vibration through the swanneck to the tiller and I shall have it ground off and replaced with a proper skeg on next blacking in the autumn.

The fitout on Surprise has caused me some head-scratching but that was mostly due to old age and vigorous use. Generally, the fitout standard seems to vary considerably and this probably reflected the depth of the pockets of the clients! Overall, I am very pleased with her and the piecemeal fitout will continue, well, in a piecemeal fashion. If you are anywhere close to the western K & A or at Crick on Saturday please PM me as you are welcome to the benefit of my very limited wisdom. Overall, I've not seen any two Delph Marine boats that are identical but there were quite few built and not many for sale which tells it's own story. Surprise is 58' and I paid £37k for her but got some mooring fees and her licence paid as part of the deal.

I hope this helps, I afraid I can't comment on your boat and I'm not qualified to do so - do get a hull survey at least ........

Jill

Edited 'cos I still can't smekk

Edited by wrigglefingers

Thanks Bottle,

Sadly not true - the brain is a bit more worn out than the boat too. Head-scratching probably an occupational hazard though (bloody kids!)

Jill

Jill/Daniel,

Many thanks for your replies. Jill especially for the depth of the response - I have found it very useful in my considerations. My observations of the shell and the fit out and the comments made and read, would confirm the builld quality is good (and the boat has seemingly been well looked after) I will of course get a survey if I take it further, for peace of mind and bargaining power.....

Thanks again

Nev