Signwriting etc.

hscott

Featured Posts

Hi there

I wonder if anyone could please tell me about any courses/tuition that they may know of for signwriting courses. I've been painting "Roses & Castles" for many years, and have a real interest in learning the art of signwriting (I studied graphic design many years ago at art college).

I'm very much of the opinion that the best way to learn a skill is to learn from those already doing it (if that makes sense!) and so should be really grateful if anyone can point me in the direction of someone who may be interested to help me.

With thanks in advance to anyone who responds

:D

Hi there

I wonder if anyone could please tell me about any courses/tuition that they may know of for signwriting courses. I've been painting "Roses & Castles" for many years, and have a real interest in learning the art of signwriting (I studied graphic design many years ago at art college).

I'm very much of the opinion that the best way to learn a skill is to learn from those already doing it (if that makes sense!) and so should be really grateful if anyone can point me in the direction of someone who may be interested to help me.

With thanks in advance to anyone who responds

:D

Have you tried Phil Speight? He offers painting courses, but might adapt or know someone who will offer signwriting tuition?

Also, events such as the IWA nationals usally have a signwriter.

- While usally very basic, there a good way to start, and get in touch with the people teaching them.

- Phil Speight is also a very good contact, and also a member of this forum.

Daniel

He has also taught at the IWA nationals which Daniel mentioned.
Yeah, my mum/sister/grandad have all done a hour with him in the past.

- As well several of us doing boards of roses/castles with Julie Tonkin at IWA events.

Daniel

I'm very much of the opinion that the best way to learn a skill is to learn from those already doing it

I agree with you entirely on this.

As you are already a graphic designer, and artist, therefore have the necessary skills, I would think signwriting should come naturally for you.

I'm a very poor artist, in fact struggle to draw better than most 5 year olds, however I managed to make my signwriting presentable last year.

I chose the text, of the style I wanted on the computer, then printed them out. Made templates for the letters, then the shadow by cutting the revelant parts out. I then stuck them on with pva water soluble glue, then painted through. Not 100% successful, but did give me the main outline. I was then able to paint the shadow on freehand, copying from the lettering. Afterwards I tidied the lines up, using the letter colour, and the base colour.

The idea of signwriting (well mine anyway) is to have some form of expression in the letters, otherwise everyone would do it with stick on plastics. I'm assuming this is your intention also. Following the same route, you may be able to develop your own individual skill, in the style that suits.

The important part is choosing the colours. Just look around and copy what you like. Mine were choses by the colours I already had, but I did have a choice, and could have got it wrong.

At the end of the day, what matters to me is I did it myself, and they are properly painted on, not stuck on plastic letters.

The close up is before I finally finished the lines of the letters.

wudlowwater.jpg

wudname6.jpg

wudname4.jpg

Just about sums up mankind doesn't it.

Creature survives for 50,000,000 years, until caught when it dies a few hours later .........

Curiosity killed the cat. Curiosity killed just about everything as far as I can see. (edited: Even the conversation)

Edited by magnetman

Have you tried Phil Speight? He offers painting courses, but might adapt or know someone who will offer signwriting tuition?

My buddy Dave Moore is the man for a course in signwriting - evening number 01384 571204 . (As it happens we were both at Gloucester docks on Saturday doing a "taster" course in writing and decoration for The Waterways Craft Guild - so read Waterways World and watch for the "What`s On" column.)If you want to just sit and watch while I`m working on a boat you are entirely welcome , I`d happily talk you through it.Phone me after 7.00pm on 01384 485564.

Good advice - read A.J.Lewery`s "Flowers Afloat" study the pictures of boats and learn the language.A proper boat writer , or , if I dare use the "t" word , a traditional boat writer, is not quite the same as a land based commercial sign-writer. Try also to find a copy of "Signwork" by Bill Stewart - out of print sadly on account of there being so few writers to cater for these days.

If you`re wondering why I try help people who are willing to make a genuine effort it`s because I don`t want the craft to die out completely and I hate to see naff work on the side of a boat when there`s people around capable of doing it well.

AN APOLOGY - i`VE REPLIED TO THE WRONG PERSON HERE! I don`t go to the pub as often as I used to.......................................

Cheers

Phil

Curiosity killed the cat. Curiosity killed just about everything as far as I can see. (edited: Even the conversation)

Is this one Inflexible then ?

Phil