Vetus water lubricated Stern Gland

Drayke

Featured Posts

For those of us that have the above stern gland. Did you know that you have to put silicon grease into them from time to time, I’ve just found this out. I had a leaking gland when in gear so asked a Vetus dealer about it. Apparently there is a bolt on top of the gland just in front of the water tube that you take out so you can pump the silicon grease in.

You can learn something new every day.

Fred

If you search Vetus stern gland,on here you will learn a great deal more!

There has been a thread about them, and how to replace the seal when required.

Bod

Thanks for that Bob very interesting reading.

Fred

And some chandlers stock a blue Volvo silicone grease which is the same as the Vetus stuff but much cheaper. Give it a squirt through the hole in the top and put a bit on your finger and run it round the shaft up against the seal. They will not drip if looked after properly; if they do it indicated that the shaft is out of alignment.

Just changed it using the rag around prop shaft tip.

Just a half cup of water came in. Ended up just a fast drip so no pressure and if you buy your own seals and swop them with the ones coming out you will save the £98 vetus rip off for a new unit. Silicone grease from plumbers at a fraction of the vetus price.

All this learnt from this forum, so just hoping to help someone else.

And some chandlers stock a blue Volvo silicone grease which is the same as the Vetus stuff but much cheaper. Give it a squirt through the hole in the top and put a bit on your finger and run it round the shaft up against the seal. They will not drip if looked after properly; if they do it indicated that the shaft is out of alignment.

Unless like mine;completely worn out! Had to do a quick change afloat before we went away. Changed the whole lot as even with new seals, it still leaked. The inner bearing inside the rubber sleeve was completely shot. It has done 2500hrs cruising though, and kept water out for ten years.

Good tip re. Volvo grease, Dave. Also plumbers merchants sell silicone grease in little tubs (4 quid or so) which I am told is used on sanitary ware seals.

A bit more here:

http://destinynarrowboat.weebly.com/vetus.html

Just changed it using the rag around prop shaft tip.

Just a half cup of water came in. Ended up just a fast drip so no pressure and if you buy your own seals and swop them with the ones coming out you will save the £98 vetus rip off for a new unit. Silicone grease from plumbers at a fraction of the vetus price.

All this learnt from this forum, so just hoping to help someone else.

Mine was the older type so couldn't fit new seals sad.png

At least the new one can be resealed.

I like the look of these type; no grease in these.

http://www.shaftseal.com/en/categories

Edited by Guest