Bolin 12v pump solution

TaffyRon

Featured Posts

Just thought I would share with you a solution to a long standing problem I had with my central heating pump on my back boiler.

Midland seem to be the only ones to stock the discontinued bolin pump in 24volt (i needed 12v which are like rocking horse poo)at a pricey sum of 250 pounds.

there are various cheap alternatives on egay but without holding one I was unsure.

in the end I went to demon tweeks and got a motorbike cooling pump for 80 quid and a maplin speed controller for 20, coupled together they work like a dream and going well for a few months now fingers crossed.

water is boiling and its drawing less than half an amp and much quieter than the bolin.

just needed 2 pipe connectors from B and Q for 99p to attach to my piping and that was it!

Edited by TaffyRon

Just thought I would share with you a solution to a long standing problem I had with my central heating pump on my back boiler.

Midland seem to be the only ones to stock the discontinued bolin pump in 24volt at a pricey sum of 250 pounds.

there are various cheap alternatives on egay but without holding one I was unsure.

in the end I went to demon tweeks and got a motorbike cooling pump for 80 quid and a maplin speed controller for 20, coupled together they work like a dream and going well for a few months now fingers crossed.

water is boiling and its drawing less than half an amp and much quieter than the bolin.

just needed 2 pipe connectors from B and Q for 99p to attach to my piping and that was it!

That's just what we like to hear, latteral thinking.

Phil

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/kemo-10a-pwm-power-controller-n80ql

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorcycle/water-pumps/davies-craig-ebp-electric-water-pump

no, the pump comes as 12v, I presume the speed controller reduces the voltage to slow it down, it also has a nob speed it up or down.

The pump comes with hoses, cable etc, you need to add a fuse, my fuse is 2amp rather than the recommended 10amp and its not blown, the speed controller comes with everything, its then just a case of fitting the hoses to your pipes with connectors from b and q or screwfix, total spend under a hundred quid and full control over the speed of the pump. Maplin also do a thermostat kit which I might look at then it will switch on and off as the pipes reach temperature.

A motorbike cooling pump!

It never occurred to me these might be electric. Sounds an excellent solution, but are you saying motorbikes run on 24Vdc?

MtB

No its 12v, replaces the mechanical one, check out the link.

for once ive tried to cut corners with good results! Its quieter and theres not a lot in the pump to go wrong, I had the bolin apart and the insides were worn out

I was imagining this to be a PWM controller. So yes perhaps 12RMS but 24v peaks still.

MtB

yes pwm but 12 volt!

It says it uses 3 amps, without the speed controller it was noisy and juice consuming, add the controller and its still pumping fast but drawing half an amp and you can hardly hear it

no, the pump comes as 12v, I presume the speed controller reduces the voltage to slow it down, it also has a nob speed it up or down.

I doubt it reduces the voltage but possible I imagine. I don't know enouigh about electronics.

Far more likely to turn the voltage on and off very fast, with the length of the ON pulse varying to adjust the speed. Pulse width modulation, PWM

And thatnks for the links.

MtB

I doubt it reduces the voltage but possible I imagine. I don't know enouigh about electronics.

Far more likely to turn the voltage on and off very fast, with the length of the ON pulse varying to adjust the speed. Pulse width modulation, PWM

MtB

im like you, not great on electronics, I usually find if theres no smoke or sparks im on the right track!

im like you, not great on electronics, I usually find if theres no smoke or sparks im on the right track!

Ah yes, this is one thing I've figured out about electronics. The wires carry smoke.

We know this because if the smoke leaks out, the device no longer works. So it must be true. Stands to reason dunnit.

MtB

Hi, most modern cars use an auxillary water pump, most are 12 volt and cheap from breakers yard etc or ebay at a higher price

see

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-S3-AUXILLARY-WATER-PUMP-CUPRA-R-BAM-AMK-MK1-GENUINE-225-BHP-210-/261618082631?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3ce9a72347

I like to pick my own and look around so local breaker for me

Ray

Hi, most modern cars use an auxillary water pump, most are 12 volt and cheap from breakers yard etc or ebay at a higher price

see

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-S3-AUXILLARY-WATER-PUMP-CUPRA-R-BAM-AMK-MK1-GENUINE-225-BHP-210-/261618082631?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3ce9a72347

Ray

see

Ray

see

Ray

yes, I was thinking of that, audis, vws, saabs to name a few post 2000 have identical pumps to the bolin, that was an option too but im pleased with the outcome of this

MtB

Yes it will be PWM but of course what comes out of it doesn't have to be a rectangular wave (with lots of consequential interference generating harmonics) - it will no doubt be smoothed by a capacitor etc. but even if it was a rectangular wave the pump wouldn't mind the higher voltage low duty cycle supply.