Montgomery canal

nebulae

Featured Posts

Went for a walk along the Montgomery west of the road from llynclyst to Knockin today. Very exiting to see the latest length in water. Sad to see stop planks back in under the bridge and levels down. Hope this does not mean there is a problem. Walked along to Crickheath. The wharf and basin,which had been cleared and the wall rebuilt,is now a jungle again.Also,noticed the Newt Police have been in action. I am all for conservation,but there are extensive ditches and drains in the area.It is difficult enough to restore this canal,without constant problems being created by conservationists. A few yards beond the Newt conservation area,the canal is dry and barren.The section which has just been rewatered is alive with fish and other wild life.

I spoke with a boater who was coming back from the Maesbury Festival as I joined the Montgomery, the impression she had was that they had lowered the water levels due to a leakage problem on the restored section, hopefully they will be able to resolve it soon.

Having read some of the various input concerning the Montgomery it seems to me that all interested parties need to get together to thrash out the various problems. Reading the Natural Shropshire site they seem to have concern over what they describe as,"...Inappropriate use of sheet piling on canals, leading to loss of bankside vegetation....". Perhaps they would prefer embankment collapse leading to total dewatering of the canal! I would have said that keeping the water in the canal is the primary consideration whether a boater or wildlife enthusiast. If they wish to criticise the methods used then they need to come up with (and finance) a viable alternative.

• Greenie 1