Windows in a liveaboard boat

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

Going on from a seperate topic where I asked advice with regards a small washer dryer for a boat we are considering buying as a liveaboard. This comment was thrown up by Blackrose (hope you dont mind me discussing it further)

"I like the look of the boat too, but for me it has too many windows for liveaboard use."

So it got me thinking. What is too many windows for liveaboard use?

Surely more windows let in more light for a light and airy feel. More ventilation with lots of opening windows.

Going on from a seperate topic where I asked advice with regards a small washer dryer for a boat we are considering buying as a liveaboard. This comment was thrown up by Blackrose (hope you dont mind me discussing it further)

"I like the look of the boat too, but for me it has too many windows for liveaboard use."

So it got me thinking. What is too many windows for liveaboard use?

Surely more windows let in more light for a light and airy feel. More ventilation with lots of opening windows.

Depends entirely on your point of view, and where you are boating.

If most of your mooring is by a towpath with people passing constantly a couple of feet away, then having lots of windows can make you feel you are in a goldfish bowl. Of course you can always draw the curtains, but many people prefer portholes for more privacy in that situation.

....although many such windows are equipped with curtains which can be opened or closed according to taste.

Perhaps the "too many windows" comment was related to deterring Johnny Burglar from breaking in and stealing expensive items such as tellies or computers, which are probably more common on live-aboard boats than on leisure boats. Even fairly large portholes (I think the glazed parts of ours are about ten inches in diameter) will baffle all but the most undernourished of thieves.

We wanted portholes originally but realised that windows were better for us on the canal as we wanted to be able to see out without having to walk up to a porthole and peer. Condensation is a bit of a bugger but we have have added secondary double glazing on the non opening sections which has helped.

The tug we have been living and cruising for the last 18 years has all her living accomodation (apart from the wheelhouse) below water level so we are looking forward to being able to see outside without having to be in the wheelhouse.

From what I remember of the boat you are considering she looks pretty well designed and built and the windows seem to be fit for purpose. Large windows in a sea going boat can be hazardous if not designed for heavy weather. We have seen add on wheelhouses that would not be safe in a harbour let alone at sea!

If you are worried about privacy get blinds fitted.

suze

We have four bus windows on each side. We like the light and if gongoozlers bother us, we just close the curtains on whatever offending side it might be. I have not noticed any problems looking like a single decker bus but then again, I have little experience of being on a boat with few windows/portholes. I have certainly not experienced a real downside.

We have large windows either side of our saloon, both double glazed. A combination of blinds and net curtains keep nosey parkers out, and I must admit to enjoying being a nosey parker myself from out to in... Large double glazed units do not feel like much of a security risk. Elsewhere on the boat windows are much smaller (though not as small as portholes) and I do notice the lack of light and visibility. I would not want to live on a boat with only portholes unless it had a very impressive set of houdini hatches.

I would say the most important thing about living aboard is feeling comfortable and happy in the space, as you are going to spend a lot of time there. If security or heat loss/condensation are an issue you could look at replacing window units themselves? But if you are happy with the size and distribution of window holes, then I wouldn't worry.

We have the large windows on ours (WB, not that that makes a difference), and find it lovely and bright. Yes, big windows are probably more enticing than portholes to a thief, but since neither Dave or I work away from the boat, more often than not at least one of us is on the boat at all times; with the exception of the odd shopping venture, it's not really an issue for us.

I personally believe if a thief wants into your boat they will find a way in, regardless of what style window opening you have. They could just as easily smash in the windows in the front doors to gain access.

As far as heat loss, I appreciate last winter was a mild one, but most days I found I had a few of the windows open as it was just too hot.

I do know in the hot spells this summer I found being able to open the sliding windows (we have 3 that slide) really helped in keeping the interior cool - not sure how much of a cross breeze you get from portholes

Condensation is a problem, but it's just a matter of getting into the habit of giving all the window sills a wipe first thing in the morning and then again sometimes in the evening. Mind you ours are only single glazed.

In my opinion, windows are like loos - it boils down to your personal preference & circumstances really.

Mooring in a marina "normally" gives one more sense of security than on the cut, so a plus for big windows

Mooring in a marina "normally" it's only your neighbors who will be walking past your boat so privacy not soooo much of an issue with big windows

Someone who thrives on loads of natural light a plus for big windows

Mooring on the cut or cc'ing where someone is normally on the boat at most times, big windows are not a real security issue

Away from the boat all day, 5 days a week - probably a plus for portholes if mooring is on the cut

Someone who puts privacy high on their list of comforts - again a plus for portholes

If the boat isn't very well insulated or you like it stifling hot, portholes are probably best

the above are my take on the pros and cons, mind you I've only been on one boat with portholes, and I'm also someone who thrives on as much natural light as possible. When we lived in bricks & mortar and were looking for a house, the size and number of windows was a big deal breaker for me, and I rarely ever had the drapes drawn.

Edited by Bettie Boo

We will be mooring in a marina we know to be secure so I don't think security will be such a big issue.

We are nosy people as well so we dont mind a spot of people watching biggrin.png

I agree with you Bettie. When we were looking for our house I wanted lots of windows and natural light. With NC the cabin is a tad darker having just a few portlights in the hull sides. For a liveaboard we want more light and natural ventilation. We will have blinds, curtains and screen covers for when we want to block out some light or nosy people.

My girlfriends Mother is Swedish, and has just finished having a house built for herself and partner. It has a large open plan living space with very high ceiling, and floor to ceiling windows all along the south facing wall (triple glazed). The two other rooms which face south in the house are an office and their bathroom, both have fully glazed walls. The bathroom is cleverly designed to allow you to see out, but to shield your nakedness from anyone looking in (although as the aspect is across a wooded valley, any gongoozler would have to use binoculars).

The house is amazing, the positive feeling you get from the light when you walk into the space is quite awesome. The cost of the installation (triple glazed 3m high window units are not cheap) as well as the structure of the house (the front wall has something like a 5m span which must contain a massive steel lintel) must have been massive, but the investment is so clearly worthwhile.

Personally I find portholes a little arcane, they are a thing of the past! Given that we now have relatively easy access to large secure double glazed window units, and that the structure of a steel sided boat can easily incorporate them, I personally find it hard to see why people would continue to favour portholes.

Personally I find portholes a little arcane, they are a thing of the past! Given that we now have relatively easy access to large secure double glazed window units, and that the structure of a steel sided boat can easily incorporate them, I personally find it hard to see why people would continue to favour portholes.

Just to clear one thing up.

We are not looking at a steel boat and it certainly isnt a narrowboat laugh.png

Often the compromise is, as NC implied determined by the material and construction of the boat.

My (steel) boat has only about 20% of its height as cabin (approx 2 foot) therefore the windows are 8" x 18" oval opening ports (identical in size and shape to those fitted to the general type of boat that NC has) The only alternative would have been portholes in the hull, something I abhor.

However a double glazed skylight is fitted to give good lighting (6 panes each 2' by 3')

Edited by John V

Often the compromise is, as NC implied determined by the material and construction of the boat.

My (steel) boat has only about 20% of its height as cabin (approx 2 foot) therefore the windows are 8" x 18" oval opening ports (identical in size and shape to those fitted to the general type of boat that NC has) The only alternative would have been portholes in the hull, something I abhor.

However a double glazed skylight is fitted to give good lighting (6 panes each 2' by 3')

Windows on the boat we are considering as shown below.

4199838_20131112131909899_1_LARGE.jpg

4199838_20131112131940289_1_XLARGE.jpg

The only one not double glazed is the large drop down window that opens the galley up to the cockpit. The others are double glazed with big windows in the saloon and the smaller ones in the bedroom and shower room.

If it was up to me this boat would be all porthole with a couple of Houdini hatches - galley and saloon - as it is, it wasn't up to me so this boat has got 6 bus windows (saloon, galley and office) no Houdini hatches and portholes in the bedroom and engine room.

Heat loss isn't a problem, we heat this 62ft boat with a single squirrel stove with no radiators. When it's really cold outside we have to close the windows. I just think an narrow boat looks better with all ports. I'm too concerned about security in the sense that if someone decides they want in, ports or not, they'll get in.

That should be light and airy in the wheelhouse (presume that will be the saloon) the smaller window for the below decks fwd look quite generous but I suspect you would have trouble (as I do) looking out except at low flying aircraft smile.png

Yes the wheel house contains the galley, saloon and helm. You then step down to the shower room, utility cupboard and bedroom.

33-2014-Greenline-33-Hybrid.jpg

The windows in the bedroom are at eye level

greenline-33-hybrid-45021080122754556549

digi48659827.jpg

The beds do swing together to make a big double! We plan to get a double mattress made for that!

Hey nice looking boat Rachael, I can see you on her, if I was in your position I would be saying "yes please"

Phil

Not long until we can get one now.

Trouble is there are not that many around and the majority that are for sale are abroad.

We are keeping a close eye on the ones that are for sale and when one that looks right comes up will take a trip to see it with a surveyor in tow.

We plan to keep NC for next summer as we plan to visit a few places where the Greenlines taller profile would restrict our access but then after that it all depends when the right boat pops up.

Not long until we can get one now.

Trouble is there are not that many around and the majority that are for sale are abroad.

We are keeping a close eye on the ones that are for sale and when one that looks right comes up will take a trip to see it with a surveyor in tow.

We plan to keep NC for next summer as we plan to visit a few places where the Greenlines taller profile would restrict our access but then after that it all depends when the right boat pops up.

I've been trying to get a handle on the style of boat she is (memory is not so good these days) am I right in saying she is a sedan?

Phil

I've been trying to get a handle on the style of boat she is (memory is not so good these days) am I right in saying she is a sedan?

Phil

Its a difficult one to pin down.

But yes a "superdisplacement" (manufacturers description not one I have made up ) sedan would be a fairly good description.

ETA: Greenline seem to be marketing it as a hybrid trawler yacht. However to me a trawler yacht is more Grand Banks or Corvette styled boats huh.png

Edited by Naughty Cal