Featured Posts

I have NEVER had a condition of insurance that my boat had to be surveyed.

Have you ever owned an older boat?

You can get Third Party only cover for a boat of any age without a survey from Basic Boat Liability (and probably others too), but be aware that their cover is not as comprehensive as other insurers (e.g. no towing).

For Fully Comp most (all?) insurers will want a survey on an older boat, although the precise age when "older" starts varies a little between insurers.

If you are purchasing a boat on finance and that finance is secured by the boat itself, then you are correct, the loan company will require a survey.

If the loan is secured in another way i.e. against your house.......then they won't care less. Their money is guaranteed.

If the Insurance company requires a survey to cover your type/age vessel they will ask for one before they cover you.

If they do not require one then providing the details in your disclosure are correct, they will pay out with the same enthusiasm insurance always show when performing this act