Moving Lutine - the radio show!

magpie patrick

Featured Posts

Okay, barring plague, pestilence, drought, flood or what have you I will finally start the voyage from High Lane to Devizes this coming Friday. The aim is to take the direct route and make it onto the Kennet and Avon in two weeks. The last stalled before it started because the boat failed the BSC - that is now sorted so we're off.

Now, trying to cut a long story short. I am about to start as a volunteer presenter on Frome FM, the community radio station in Frome. It transmits on 96.6 fm and online (sorry, no we don't do digital!). My main show will be a monthly folk music show featuring an hour of music and a guest of whoever I can persuade to join me. The station were anxious to schedule my first show and I said "not until November, I need to move my boat", which caught the attention of the programme manager.

So now I am travelling armed with a voice recorder to interview unsuspecting souls along the way and create a travelogue of the journey for Frome FM. In jest, be warned, but joking aside the idea is that there will be many individual stories to be told, by holiday makers, liveaboards, lock keepers, museum curators, publicans etc.

This is a totally new venture for me... lets see what happens...

So now I am travelling armed with a voice recorder ..

Back in the days when I worked for BBC Manchester this would have been 7" reels of 1/4 tape on a Nagra III reel-to-reel recorder weighing in at 15 Lb and with very limited battery life. I guess now it's the size of a (small) fag packet.

Back in the days when I worked for BBC Manchester this would have been 7" reels of 1/4 tape on a Nagra III reel-to-reel recorder weighing in at 15 Lb and with very limited battery life. I guess now it's the size of a (small) fag packet.

Bet you have never used a clockwork Nagra

:)

Thanks for the good wishes all: I'll record the conversations on the way (some may actually be recorded out of order) and when I arrive we will have to sort them and add narrative (some of which may also be recorded on the way down!). Depends how much usable material I end up with but the rough idea is for a couple of half hour shows that are mainly talk with one or two (hopefully appropriate) music tracks to break it up. We'll work out when to schedule it once I've collected the material, and in view of the interest I'll announce that schedule on CWDF.

As a community radio station we have to get the balance between talk and music shows in line with our licence. We also broadcast 24 hours a day but clearly that isn't all new stuff, so almost everything we broadcast is recorded as it goes out live (if it isn't already pre-recorded) so we can play it again! Bob Blues, getting you a copy of these recordings shouldn't be a problem.

Ist Ade, the recorder is slightly bigger than a cigarette packet, but not much, and needless to say is downloadable to a laptop! Laurie, there is no clockwork version!

Ist Ade, the recorder is slightly bigger than a cigarette packet, but not much, and needless to say is downloadable to a laptop! Laurie, there is no clockwork version!

Shame

sad.png

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/kudelski_nagra_ii_2_autonome_tape_recorder.html

Edited by Laurie.Booth