DC-DC Converter

CaptainJacks

Featured Posts

Low voltage dc light bulb and battery, please

Richard

Agreed low voltage bulb (12v if the unit has a 12v input)

What's a dc light bulb?

I was assuming that the input is already connected to the boat's battery so only the light bulb would need to be connected.

Thanks.

I have a multimeter but at what points would I test its a closed unit with a male connector that plugs into a cigar type socket?

How would I resolve the problem if the test fails?

1. Plug in the converter

2. Test from either side of the output plug, with your multi-meter set to 12V+ (e.g. to 20V) to another part of your boat electrics.

3. If that shows 0V, retest with the meter set to 'continuity'. If that shows no continuity, there is isolation.

Having said that, may I ask why you care? I have at least 3 converters (2 phones and a laptop - and soon to to have a dc-dc converter for an Aldi 15V rechargeable vac - why I'm reading this thread) and in every case, the item has a plastic casing, so it won't hurt if it touched the boat hull. I don't care if the neg., or even the pos. is shared with the boat supply's. If a short like that is your worry, just make sure the output from the converter is plugged in, so not available to short, before you plug the converter into the boat supply.

'Galvanic isolators' tackle a completely different problem - galvanic hull corrosion when you share a mains supply with other boats in, for instance, a marina.

Roger

Edited by MyLady