Where are you aloud to moor?

Foxtrot

Featured Posts

Been looking through the threads for an answer to this. Whats the rules on mooring? Its pretty obvious you're not aloud to moor where signs tell you not to and not to moor at the mouths of locks and bridges, but what about areas where there's no towpath? Theres a nice woods up the canal in Shiply, I'd love the idea of for a night mooring up to the opposite side of the bank to where the towpath is. Is that aloud?

What ells is or isn't aloud with regards to where you decided to moor?

- Foxy

Been looking through the threads for an answer to this. Whats the rules on mooring? Its pretty obvious you're not aloud to moor where signs tell you not to and not to moor at the mouths of locks and bridges, but what about areas where there's no towpath? Theres a nice woods up the canal in Shiply, I'd love the idea of for a night mooring up to the opposite side of the bank to where the towpath is. Is that aloud?

- Foxy

Broadly speaking, you can moor to the towpath side except for the obvious exceptions that you outline.

Equally, unless there is clear signs that permit mooring on the non-towpath side, then you should assume that it is private property and that you may not moor there without permission.

So, if you want to moor at the woods, you need to find the owner and see permission.

- Foxy

I know the spot you mean and it is nice.

However mooring on the offside is generally not allowed as it is normally private land. I have heard it argued on here that you can if you moor on weights and don't put lines ashore but I have no idea if that is OK or not, I wouldn't bother doing it as we have a dog so it would be pointless.

Moor wherever you want. Waterpoints are fine. Dont even bother connecting the hosepipe and walking off to, town with your boat locked. Bollards are great especially ones at lock landings. Just be aware if you do moor at these places, you are gonna get me mooring alongside to get off for water or to use the locks.

Ignore the 48hr signs, theyre just for hirers. Moor there all winter.

Moor wherever you want. Waterpoints are fine. Dont even bother connecting the hosepipe and walking off to, town with your boat locked. Bollards are great especially ones at lock landings. Just be aware if you do moor at these places, you are gonna get me mooring alongside to get off for water or to use the locks.

Ignore the 48hr signs, theyre just for hirers. Moor there all winter.

Not the first time I've heard that said!!

ohmy.png

MtB

Foxy. Away from the sarky comments. Be careful up yonder on LL as there is a stone ledge sticking out just under the water line. As Dave P says the non tow path side is usually shallower. The occasion mooring on private side may be fine if you can get away with it but I wouldn't make the same place a habit. Theres plenty of nice places on both sides of the cut between Saltaire - Skipton and beyond.

Foxy. Away from the sarky comments. Be careful up yonder on LL as there is a stone ledge sticking out just under the water line. As Dave P says the non tow path side is usually shallower. The occasion mooring on private side may be fine if you can get away with it but I wouldn't make the same place a habit. Theres plenty of nice places on both sides of the cut between Saltaire - Skipton and beyond.

Sorry but I seem to have missed the Sarky comments.....

Any links?