Calorifier Repair ?

Featured Posts

Good evening all,

Just been out cruising for 6 weeks and a couple of weeks in found that my twin coil calorifier was leaking. Caught most of the water using a large microfibre cloth dripping into a plastic tub and was able to gauge that it was leaking about 4 litres per day. Water pump didn't kick in very often and when it did only for a couple of seconds. Hot water on tap no problem and still some left overnight (water pump always switched off overnight). The tank insulation has a split approximately 10 inches long horizontally, half way up the side of the tank (it is a horizontally mounted calorifier in engine bay). I removed some of the insulation carefully from around the split but was unable to see any leak site so when I return to the boat next week I am going to remove some more of the dryfoam insulation and try and track down the leak.

Now the questions are; given the above details does it sound as if the damage is likely to be significant and does it point to the leak been towards the top of the tank?

If I have to take the tank out what do you have any tips re draining down, disconnecting the piepework etc.

Has anyone successfully repaired a calorifier using brazing or glass fibre or some other means?

Does anyone know how thick the copper is on calorifiers?

Many thanks for any tips and advice.

I strongly suspect that you may be purchasing a new calorifier.

Whilst it may be technically possible to repair, IF the leak is from the body of the beastie, I wouldn't risk a repair.

Of course, it may be a leak from a pipe joint or gasket - in which case undo the joint, clean it up and remake / get a new gasket.

Edited by Grace & Favour
typo jobbie!

Had one split on the boss next to a fitting it was one I had in store for several years but had only been installed for a few months, was busy at the time so repaired it with plastic metal (yes I know, was a bodge) it lasted for 4 years then went again (same place), changed it that time.

Thankyou for your feedback

Calorifier has a 3 bar pressure release valve fitted, but there is no expansion vessel in line anywhere.

Interested in the success of the plastic metal repair. What is this and is there a brand name?

Regards

Good God it was years ago!!! I think it was Devcon....not the steel one ..possibly Devcon Aluminium sorry I can't remember any more