The greatest angler of all time!

leg0

Featured Posts

Week 7

Billy Lane, our first World Angling Champion

Continuing with our list of top ten anglers who learnt to fish on a canal, we now pay homage to our first ever World Angling Champion, Coventry’s Billy Lane.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/news-and-views/features/the-greatest-angler-of-all-time

Got one of his books. A tackle dealer from Coventry.

He's not renowned for the canals but of the 'known' anglers I'd go for Jeremy Wade. His shows are fascinating and his passion for the sport really shines through. Having had to suffer the arrogance of John Wilson, the child-like Matt Hayes and the egotistical 'I'm a hero' offers from Robson Green, I can once again look forward to watching an angling show.

. You cannot be serious Jeremy wade is the biggest dick ever to pick up a fishing rod all he does is fly,s round the world pinching other peoples ideas then claiming them as his own whilst making out that every fish he catch,s is a man eater total arse,I went to a fishing show some years ago at fry,s in keynsham and he was ridiculed and laughed out the building shame on you

. You cannot be serious Jeremy wade is the biggest dick ever to pick up a fishing rod all he does is fly,s round the world pinching other peoples ideas then claiming them as his own whilst making out that every fish he catch,s is a man eater total arse,I went to a fishing show some years ago at fry,s in keynsham and he was ridiculed and laughed out the building shame on you

You think so? I find him engaging and more than a little intelligent. I've never met him face to face though.

I'd like to nominate Martin James. He was a regular presenter on Radio Lancashire and when I contacted him as a totally new angler looking for information and not having a clue he invited me onto his private stretch of the River Ribble. He guided me for the day and then invited me back to learn the basics of fly fishing. I've spent several sessions on the bank with him and have learnt loads. He wouldn't take any payment for his services. A true character and a real gentleman.

You think so? I find him engaging and more than a little intelligent. I've never met him face to face though.

He (J. Wade) co-authored a fantastic book about 25 years ago too with Paul Boote. "Somewhere along the Crazy River". He's been travelling the wild places for a long time certainly not a Johnny come lately. Before all this pioneering became very fashionable.

I'd like to nominate Martin James. He was a regular presenter on Radio Lancashire and when I contacted him as a totally new angler looking for information and not having a clue he invited me onto his private stretch of the River Ribble. He guided me for the day and then invited me back to learn the basics of fly fishing. I've spent several sessions on the bank with him and have learnt loads. He wouldn't take any payment for his services. A true character and a real gentleman.

Martin is also disabled IIRC. He's a legend even down south.

Edited by mark99