Harland and Wolff - North Woolwich

the yard

Featured Posts

I've been researching vessels built by Harland and Wolff for the last number of years and have starting to pull it altogether on the web www.theyard.info . I'm in need of some information regarding the motors and butties built in North Woolwich. I have managed to put together a list of GUCC vessels but have no idea if it's complete. I'm particularly keen to know if a builders list exists similar to that of the Belfast and Govan yards that includes yard numbers, names, etc.. One other question, I've been looking on the web at photographs of North Woolwich build boats but have never noticed a builders plate. Did North Woolwich fit these to their boats?

I've been researching vessels built by Harland and Wolff for the last number of years and have starting to pull it altogether on the web www.theyard.info . I'm in need of some information regarding the motors and butties built in North Woolwich. I have managed to put together a list of GUCC vessels but have no idea if it's complete. I'm particularly keen to know if a builders list exists similar to that of the Belfast and Govan yards that includes yard numbers, names, etc.. One other question, I've been looking on the web at photographs of North Woolwich build boats but have never noticed a builders plate. Did North Woolwich fit these to their boats?

Yes. A large cast iron oval plate.

Tim

• Greenie 1

I have managed to put together a list of GUCC vessels but have no idea if it's complete.

Have you seen the small book "The George and The Mary", which is specifically about the boats built for the GUCCCo?

Although the listings in it contain some errors, I am sure that it will be fully complete in terms of the actual narrow boats that H&W built for the GUCCCo in the 1930s.

It is possible, depending on the version you find, that the name spellings could contain errors, (although most errors were the erroneously spelt names that the boats actually carried!).

There may be some other errors, particularly wrong dates for delivery, or health registration, although most are right. (Again different in different editions of "The George and The Mary).

Some of the prototype GUCCCo boats built in wood were by Harland and Wolff also - I'm not sure if that was at Woolwich or not, but someone will know!

There is a further listing to be found in the issue of Narrow Boat magazine that covered the GUCCCo fleet, although this gives rather less information - for example does not, I think, cover the details of the boats leaving the GUCCCo fleet.

I've been researching vessels built by Harland and Wolff for the last number of years and have starting to pull it altogether on the web www.theyard.info .

Hi, and welcome to the forum

The drop down menus on your first page don't seem to work. I thought at first they were working until I realised the home page doesn't stay still

Richard

Hi, and welcome to the forum

The drop down menus on your first page don't seem to work. I thought at first they were working until I realised the home page doesn't stay still

Richard

I'll take a close look at them. What browser are you using?

Robert

Yes. A large cast iron oval plate.

Tim

Hi Tim, Thanks for the reply. Sounds similar, but I assume a smaller that those used on the ships.

By any chance would you have a photograph showing a plate?.

Robert

Edited by the yard

Hi Tim, Thanks for the reply. Sounds similar, but I assume a smaller that those used on the ships.

By any chance you would't have a photograph of one?.

Robert

Not sure, may have.

I used to have one, with the Themis.

I suppose from memory they were about 11" on the long (horizontal) dimension.

Tim

• Greenie 1

VENUS, from about 30yrs ago:

VENUSGen073Custom_zpsb1262b70.jpg

VENUSGen073plate_zps6a9f75d2.jpg

It reads: Harland & Wolff Ltd., Belfast somewhere somewhere, Built North Woolwich, London, 1934, haven't a clue for the rest - I'm sure Tim will know.

The Yard - that's a fascinating website. Not all the links are complete, but some very fine images - particularly the railway engines - and Churches too!

Edited by Derek R.

VENUS, from about 30yrs ago:

VENUSGen073Custom_zpsb1262b70.jpg

VENUSGen073plate_zps6a9f75d2.jpg

It reads: Harland & Wolff Ltd., Belfast somewhere somewhere, Built North Woolwich, London, 1934, haven't a clue for the rest - I'm sure Tim will know.

The Yard - that's a fascinating website. Not all the links are complete, but some very fine images - particularly the railway engines - and Churches too!

Thanks for the photographs and your kind words about the site. I'm trying to reflect that there's more to the company than the Titanic, I'm afraid to say that most people in Belfast would not know the company built narrow-boats in London !! Even the company's official book "Shipbuilders to the World" paid little attention to them.

I've taken on board the comments about some links not working, I've removed these links until I get the each subject finished.